New transportation institute arrives to Fresno State

After approval from the Fresno County Transportation Authority Board, Fresno State will now be home to a Transportation Institute.

According to a university news release, the institute will provide students with the opportunity to collaborate with staff and professionals in the transportation industry regarding research, planning and development.

The institute will collaborate between the 15 cities within Fresno County, the universityā€™s Lyles College of Engineering, Craig School of Business and College of Social Sciences.

The institute will open later this fall and will be housed in a temporary space across from the Engineering East Building.

ā€œFaculty and students in the Lyles College of Engineering will collaborate with other researchers on advanced transportation technologies, multi-modal and transit systems and moreā€ said Dr. Ram Nunna, dean of the Lyles College of Engineering.

The institute comes after the Fresno Council of Governments Policy Board approved nearly $3 million of Measure C New Technology Reserve funds in 2016.