Fresno State nationally ranked No. 3 for graduation rate performance

Fresno State picked up yet another honorable ranking on Tuesday.

U.S. News and World Report’s 2017 Best College ranked Fresno State the third highest of best public universities in the nation for graduation rate performance.

The university ranked No. 4 overall in the category among all national universities. Last year, Fresno State ranked No. 1 among public universities nationwide and No. 3 among all national universities.

Ranking within the category is based on the university’s actual graduation rate performance compared to its projected performance.

The ranking is an indication that Fresno State provides a high-quality, cost-effective education which provides the opportunity to change the trajectory of a person, a family and a community, said university president Dr. Joseph Castro.

The ranking was based on student demographics such as spending per student, admissions and the proportion of undergraduates receiving Pell grants.

Graduation and retention rates are weighed highest by the magazine in its scoring.

Fresno State, along with CSU Fullerton, San Francisco State and San Diego State University, are four of 23 California State University campuses to compete on a national level.

To rank highly among other nationally prestigious universities shows a great testament to the university’s faculty, staff and students, said university provost Lynnette Zelezny.