A small scoop of chocolate chip ice cream from Ampersand. (Selina Falcon/The Collegian)

Fresno Foodie: Ampersand Ice Cream

What’s the hype?

Ampersand Ice Cream has been serving up handcrafted, small-batch ice cream year-round to the Central Valley for two years.

Every ingredient Ampersand uses is locally-sourced, and makes for unique flavors like Lost Bread (Cajun French Toast), Enzo Clementine Olive Oil & Chocolate, Thai Tea and Honeycomb.

These unique flavors are typically switched out every month, but there are a few staple flavors like Madagascar Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, Mint Chip, Rocky Road and Whiskey Caramel Swirl.

A full list of September’s flavors can be found at ampersandicecream.com.

What’s the cost?

Considering it is a local business with handcrafted ice cream made entirely from locally sourced ingredients, Ampersand is a fairly affordable local ice-cream shop.

Scoops are available in a variety of sizes: mini, small, medium, large and the “flight of four.” The prices range from $2.75 for a mini, to $6 for a large and $8 for a “flight of four.” Toppings range from an extra 50 cents to 75 cents.

Ampersand also offers specialty items including milkshakes, floats, ice-cream sandwiches and homemade cookies.

You can also purchase hand-packed pints to take home for $9 to $10.

Where is it?

Ampersand is located directly across from Fresno High School, 1940 N. Echo Ave. It is open seven days a week from noon to 11 p.m.

Worth it?

Ampersand has quickly become a Central Valley favorite, and I would choose it over Baskin-Robbins or Cold Stone Creamery any day.

Not only does their ice cream taste great, but the staff is friendly and more than willing to help you find a flavor you would enjoy. You can even sample every flavor if it helps you make a decision.

You get pretty much the same amount of ice cream you would get at an ice-cream parlor chain for around the same price. The only huge differences are Ampersand’s unique flavors and the fact that you are supporting a local business instead of a chain.

If you are looking for your next favorite local ice-cream shop, look no further than Ampersand Ice Cream.