Collegian File Photo

Equestrian splits first two competitions

This weekend, the Fresno State equestrian team lost to No. 1 Texas A&M 14-5, but won 17-2 against South Dakota State.

On Friday morning, the Aggies swept the ‘Dogs 5-0, in the equitation over fences event at the Student Horse Center. In the horsemanship event, the ‘Dogs managed to get on the board, 4-1.

After the break, the Aggies continued to dominate the ‘Dogs 4-1 in equitation on the flat. In the reining event, Fresno State finally gained its footing, defeating Texas A&M 3-1.

As for Saturday, against South Dakota, the team improved to 1-1 after reaching its highest point total since 2010.

“Today speaks a lot to our team to be able to bounce back from yesterday,” equestrian head coach Eric Hubbard said. “We got over the first meet jitters and were able to perform today, the way we know we can.”

Fresno State quickly took the lead 4-1 in the equitation over fences event. The Bulldogs continued their dominance throughout the day, sweeping the Jackrabbits 4-0 in the horsemanship event, 4-1 in reining and 5-0 in the equitation on the flat.