Fresno+State+forward+Julia+Glaser+challenging+UC+Riversides+defense+on+Sept.+15%2C+2017+at+the+Soccer+%26+Lacrosse+Stadium.+The+Dogs+won+UC+Riverside+in+overtime%2C+1-0.+%28Daniel+Avalos%2F+The+Collegian%29.+
Fresno State forward Julia Glaser challenging UC Riverside’s defense on Sept. 15, 2017 at the Soccer & Lacrosse Stadium. The ‘Dogs won UC Riverside in overtime, 1-0. (Daniel Avalos/ The Collegian).

Bulldogs beat Highlanders in overtime win

The Fresno State women’s soccer team sneaked past UC Riverside on Friday, beating the Highlanders 1-0 in overtime to gain its fourth consecutive win.

Despite Riverside immediately trying to pressure the ball, the ‘Dogs were composed in possessions as they began creating chances early in the game.

This continued throughout the first half as Fresno State forced openings in a resilient Riverside defense, but could not capitalize on their opportunities.

The Bulldogs kept up the pressure after the break, forcing their opponents deep into their own half for most of the game.

Despite their dominance, the ‘Dogs’ struggles in front of the goal persisted as shots flew wide, and the Highlander goalkeeper made some big saves.

By the end of the 90-minute regulation time, Fresno State had racked up 18 shots with six on target, but still could not find the back of the net.

As for overtime, it only took four minutes before the Bulldogs sealed the win. Myra Delgadillo acrobatically flicked on a long throw-in into the box, which was put away by midfielder Julia Glaser.  

Senior forward Delgadillo was one of the more influential players on the pitch, stringing together several passing combinations and testing the keeper numerous times.

“I think I did well at driving at the defenders and holding off defenders so I could try to turn and shoot,” Delgadillo said.

Head coach Brian Zwaschka is starting his ninth year with the team and is looking to improve upon a 10-8-1 record last year, narrowly missing the Mountain West postseason.

“Obviously, we would prefer to put games away in regular time,” Zwaschka said. “We’ve been more efficient on fewer chances in previous games, so that’s something we need to make sure we don’t forget. Not all teams are going to allow such a high volume of chances, so we need to put away the ones that we get, and the earlier the better.”

The ‘Dogs play their first Mountain West Conference game at home Friday at 7 p.m. against rival Boise State.