Kennedy Brock, Garrett Nickelsen, Jared Monaco, John O’Callaghan and Pat Kirch are The Maine. (Photo courtesy of The Maine’s Facebook page.)

A decade of The Maine

In an age where it is not uncommon to see bands rise and fall within a few short years, alternative rock band The Maine has remained constant and has built a loyal fan base over the last 10 years.

Formed in 2007 in Tempe, Arizona, The Maine features vocalist John O’Callaghan, guitarists Kennedy Brock and Jared Monaco, bassist Garrett Nickelsen and drummer Pat Kirch.

Being a band for 10 years means that The Maine has had a long and eventful career.

• In the past, the band has toured with bands like Good Charlotte, Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional and The All-American Rejects.
  • After leaving Fearless Records, The Maine signed with Warner Bros. Records in 2009. After the release of its second album, the band left Warner Bros. and started its own label, 8123.
  • To celebrate 10 years as a band, The Maine hosted its own music festival, “8123 Fest,” in downtown Phoenix.
  • The band has released five EPs (extended plays) and six albums.

The Maine’s most recent album, “Lovely Little Lonely,” was released April 7.

“Lovely Little Lonely” is different compared to the band’s 2015 release, “American Candy.”

While “American Candy” was more upbeat and focused on the general theme of growing up, “Lovely Little Lonely” has an overall laid-back, nostalgic sound with songs that are more grown-up versions of those found on “American Candy.”

A standout track and the second single from “Lovely Little Lonely” is “Black Butterflies & Déjà Vu.” With over 3 million streams on Spotify, the song is fast-paced and best encompasses the album’s theme and sound.

“Lovely Little Lonely” is album six for the members of The Maine, and the reason they have managed to continue making music for so long is due in part to their loyal fanbase, who remain because The Maine makes an effort to give back to fans.

One of the more impressive ways the band showed it cared was in the fall of 2015, when it embarked on the “Free For All Tour.” The Maine traveled across the country playing shows anywhere it could, free for anyone who wanted to come.

“We’ve been thinking of ways that we can actually repay you, and we’re finally at a crossroads where we feel like we’d like to really attempt to do so,” said O’Callaghan in a video announcement for the tour.

The “Free For All Tour” was a turning point for the band and allowed it to introduce itself to an entirely new audience.

Since then, the band has earned an average of 1.1 million monthly listeners on Spotify.

This fall, The Maine will head out on the “Modern Nostalgia Tour” where it will be playing “American Candy” and “Lovely Little Lonely” in full. Dreamers and Night Riots will open up the shows.

You can follow The Maine on Twitter at @themaine and on Instagram at @themaineband.