Daniel Avalos
Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro gives the 2017 Fall Assembly address to faculty and staff in the Save Mart Center on Aug. 17, 2017. (Daniel Avalos/The Collegian)

Fresno State plans to invest 26 million dollars to modernize campus infrastructure

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro announced the university’s priority in updating the campus’s physical infrastructure.

Over the course of the 2017-18 academic year, the university will invest $26 million in projects toward the modernization of the 70-year-old campus site, Castro said during his Fall Assembly to Fresno State faculty and staff on Aug. 17.

These projects include the North and South gym renovations for $10 million and updates on “the oldest and most important spaces” for $5 million, Castro said.

“[A] critical ingredient to our success as a university is to preserve and upgrade our physical and technological infrastructure,” Castro said. “We have addressed these infrastructure issues aggressively.”

The administration’s plan to rejuvenate frequently used classrooms extends to 2019 with an investment of $11 million ”” $5 million to be spent this year and $6 million next year.

The Peters Business Building, Science II, McLane Hall and Grosse Industrial Technology Building host a few of the 12 classrooms with upgraded plans. The classrooms were selected with help of college deans, faculty and staff.

Since 2013, Castro’s administration has invested approximately $100 million into the improvement of the university’s infrastructure.

The funds improved the electrical infrastructure, established the Jordan Agricultural Research Center, the Physical Therapy and Intercollegiate Athletics Building, and modernized classrooms and the university farm.

Castro said that although dramatic progress at the university will be made, “There is much more to do.”