Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro and university administration at the Fresno State Washington Monthly No. 17 ranking announcement on Aug. 28, 2017. (Razmik Cañas/The Collegian)

Fresno State only CSU in ‘Top 30 National Universities’ rank

Fresno State is the only California State University listed in a recent survey of the top 30 best national universities.

Washington Monthly ranked Fresno State as No. 17 in its list of best national universities. University President Dr. Joseph Castro announced the ranking Monday. Fresno Mayor Lee Brand and U.S. representatives Jim Costa and Devin Nunes both joined Castro as he gave the news in the Jordan Agricultural Research Center.

Last fall, Castro announced Fresno State ranked No. 25 on the same list.

Washington Monthly has ranked universities for 12 years. It considers the list “a different kind of college ranking.” Rankings are based on a university’s social mobility, research and service.

Universities are judged for their ease of transfer, number of students over the age of 25, tuition and fees and loan repayment.

Fresno State was ranked as No. 1 for spending federal work-study funds on public service. According to the news release, 69 percent of the work-study funds go towards placing students in service jobs.

Stanford University topped the “Top 30” list. The CSU that ranked the closest to Fresno State was CSU Fullerton, at No. 90.

“These national rankings are further proof that Fresno State’s commitment to boldly educate and empower our students for success is taking the university’s academic profile to new heights,” Castro said.