Students learn salsa dancing during Fresno State Night at Campus Pointe on Friday, Aug. 25th. (Megan Trindad/The Collegian)

Deals and dancing at Fresno State Night

Fresno State Night brought the first week of the semester to a close with a variety of activities for students to enjoy last Friday.

Local businesses at The Square at Campus Pointe helped the student body to relax after their first week at school.

Throughout the night, different activities were organized such as a DJ, salsa dance lessons and a concert featuring Call Me James, a band from Visalia.

The event was planned by the Student Involvement Office with the intention of welcoming back not only students, but campus faculty as well, said Juan Guzman, a graduate assistant for the University Student Union.

“We actually decided to do that at Campus Pointe because it’s a new space. It was built less than two years ago, and we want to showcase what this space has to offer to students,” Guzman said. “So there’s specials going on. Of course we have games and music, and it’s really an opportunity for the Fresno State family to get to know the space.”

Many of the businesses at Campus Pointe were involved in the event, with booths set up letting students know about their specials.

Collect Coffee Bar, a local cafe opened in 2016, offered a discount to all students with their Fresno State ID and offered a free mug with any purchase.

Wahoo’s Fish Tacos and Cold Stone Creamery each offered prizes to people who played one of the games offered at the event.

Maya Cinemas Fresno 16 also had discounts on tickets later in the evening for students. Many people joined the activities after watching a movie.

“It has so much liveliness to it, and people are so friendly. It’s so nice to have a little event off campus for everyone to go to,” said Frances Lundez, a first-year animal science major.

Even students from out of town and other schools joined the event with other Fresno State students.

“There’s a lot of people into it. You don’t get that over there at [CSU] Long Beach,” said Phillip Lopez, a second-year computer engineering major.  

With the amount of activities available at the event, organizers wanted to show the campus community the full extent of what Fresno State has to offer.

“[It’s] just another way of engaging [with] the campus,” said Gerry Elizondo, assistant director of Student Involvement. “This is a great place to go out, but also to help students show different outlets and things to do whether it’s on campus, [or] whether it’s here on Campus Pointe.”