Delivered Council member Paul Caprioglio of District 4 addresses the crowed at the opening of the Fresno Police satellite station on Aug. 15, 2017. (Daniel Avalos/The Collegian)

New police satellite office near campus offers safety

A new bid for safety has been established for Fresno State and it’s surrounding community.

The El Dorado Park community is now home to a Fresno Police Department satellite office after the ribbon cutting on Aug. 15.

The station is located west of campus, near Bulldog Stadium and Fraternity Row, in the Startpoint Towers office complex.

Fresno State Police Chief David Huerta said the new station will benefit officers that currently patrol the area.

“It offers the officers that work here in this district services that they may need to drive farther away to get,” Huerta said.

Huerta added that, officers will have the opportunity to write reports, investigate cases and have a spot to take their breaks without having to drive far from their patrol areas.

Huerta said it is important that officers stay for long periods of time in their locations so that they can become more comfortable in the area and get a feel for a particular part of town.

In September 2016, Fresno City Manager Bruce Rudd told The Collegian the station was slated to open around December. However, plans changed and now, “We’re here,” Paul Caprioglio, Fresno City council member, said at the opening.

Caprioglio, council member of District 4, oversees the surrounding community including the university. He said his team, including Mayor Lee Brand, played a role in getting the new station into the neighborhood.

“We must work together. We must continue to collaborate, to keep this area safe and prosperous for all of Fresno,” Caprioglio said.

He said the addition of the station will bring a sense of teamwork to the community between residents and law enforcement.

“Our focus is to build strong partnerships,” Caprioglio said. “We ask that the residents and the students be the eyes and the ears of our crimefighters.”

Fresno State Associated Students, Inc. President Blake Zante and members of his senate also attended the opening ceremony. One of Zante’s campaign goals last semester was to help improve the safety both on and around campus.

“It’s crucial for Fresno State students,” Zante said about students who live in the area. “It’s a lot safer for them to live there.”

Zante said he also plans on helping students become more aware about safety in the campus community. He said the satellite station should help put his goal into practice.

“It really allows for more presence, more interaction with the community,” Zante said.

Fresno State Police Chief Huerta urged the surrounding campus community to take the initiative and accountability in making a difference in the community.

“Own this community,” Huerta said. “If we all take ownership of each other on both sides we’ll avert bad relationships and serious incidents probably won’t occur.”