Four binge-worthy Netflix Originals you should watch this summer

Now that the school year is coming to a close, students  finally have time to catch up on entertainment. In the past few years, Netflix has produced its own original shows that have got TV junkies begging for more. Here are a few of the best Netflix Originals you should watch this summer.

‘House of Cards’

If you’re looking to learn how politics works, but don’t want to leave your couch, “House of Cards” is definitely the closest thing on Netflix that will give you a taste of America’s ruthless political and media systems. Kevin Spacey, as U.S. President Frank Underwood, is the big man in charge with his illustrious and equally tough wife Claire by his side. In the politically charged 2017 climate in the U.S. and abroad, “House of Cards” will leave viewers thinking 13 episodes is not enough. Anyone not burnt out from the 2016 election drama is sure to enjoy another season of a similarly sensational original series. Season 5 premieres May 30, and it promises to pack just as much thrill as the previous season.

‘Orange is the New Black’

The women’s prison system is probably the last thing people think of when it comes to crime. “Orange is the New Black” — based on the New York Times best selling book —  exposes what the women’s prison system is like and how incarceration changes a person’s perspective on life. The series follows Piper Chapman and her jail-time journey. The fifth season will be released on Netflix June 9, where many cliffhangers will be resolved and storylines will continue.

‘The Defenders’

After establishing the superheros of the Netflix Marvel extended universe, the time for them to team up is at hand. With previous stand-alone shows introducing Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil and Iron Fist. It’s time for them to assemble. With each character having a season or two of backstory, there is plenty of binge-worthy content for you to go through. And with the constant Easter eggs and allusions to the Marvel ECU, you will find yourself immersed in the darker, violent and more gritty underbelly of the world the Avengers and other heroes inhabit. The show is premiering August 18 on Netflix.

“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”

How much does the world change in 15 years? “Unbreakable: Kimmy Schmidt” follows Kimmy Schmidt through her new life in New York after she was held captive in an underground bunker for 15 years as part of a mythical apocalyptic cult. Kimmy’s attempt to adapt to society is comical and refreshing, and proves the shows mantra “females are strong as hell.”  The third season premieres May 19 and is sure to bring more light-hearted comedy to Netflix.

Alvaro Lozano and Cresencio Rodriguez contributed to this story.