+The+entrance+to+Grizzly+Fest+2017+at+Chuckchansi+Park+on+April+29%2C+2017.++%28Khone+Saysamongdy%2F+The+Collegian%29
The entrance to Grizzly Fest 2017 at Chuckchansi Park on April 29, 2017. (Khone Saysamongdy/ The Collegian)

Why Fresno is growling for Grizzly Fest

Two words come to mind when rock and roll, vibrating basslines, food trucks and graffiti art come together: Grizzly Fest.

This year, the festival attracted thousands of music fans to Chukchansi Park for an evening of reggae, rock, rap and electronic music. From local bands and rappers to international superstars, Grizzly Fest’s lineup did not disappoint.

Thee Commons

Thee Commons was a perfect midday set for the festival. The band’s rock and reggae vibes had crowds dancing and singing and even chanting “Otra” — requesting another song. Thee Commons was fun and interesting, sporting wolf masks and jumping into the crowd to crowd-surf. The guitarist even came down into the crowd and started a conga line with the audience.

Fashawn

If there is one thing Grizzly Fest is known for, it’s Fresno pride. This showed most when local artist Fashawn took the stage. Accompanied by local DJ Kay Rich, Fashawn had the crowd singing along to every word. The rapper talked about his love and pride for the city and Grizzly Fest, and the audience replied with ­roaring applause.

E-40

One of the most highly anticipated artists to hit the stage was E-40. The rapper who has been producing since the ‘90s drew a crowd of all ages. Known as one of the founders of the “hyphy movement,” E-40 knew exactly which songs the audience wanted to hear and did not disappoint. Audience members could be seen dancing from across the venue to every song. E-40 may be an old dog to the rap game, but his energy was unmatched by other performers.

Lupe Fiasco

Rapper Lupe Fiasco was the most bass-heavy and intense performance of the day. The speakers vibrated throughout the venue when he came on stage, and the audience screamed in excitement before he even said a word. The rapper taught the audience which ways to wave their hands for each song, and played all of his hits for his first time performing in Fresno. Bringing a Grammy-nominated artist with multiple gold and platinum records to Grizzly Fest was a huge feat and the highlight of the event.