Fresno State wide receivers coach Kirby Moore throwing the ball at spring practice on Monday, April 3, 2017, at Bulldog Stadium. (Megan Trindad/ The Collegian)

From Bronco player to Bulldog coach: replacing old memories

Kirby Moore, Fresno State football’s new wide receivers coach, has a few good memories of playing in Bulldog Stadium, but one very bad one.

That one bad moment was when Boise State played at Bulldog Stadium in 2013 against the Derek Carr-led Bulldogs.

Moore was a wide receiver for a Broncos team that lost 41-40. It was Moore’s only loss to Fresno State.

Now Moore is in his first year with Fresno State, coming in as a part of head coach Jeff Tedford’s staff.

Even with his bad memory of Bulldog Stadium, Moore is happy to be a Bulldog.

“This is a great place to work and a great stadium to play in,” Moore said. “I’m just looking forward to this year.”

After finishing up his playing career at Boise State in 2013, he served as wide receivers coach at the College of Idaho in 2014. After his first stint as a coach, Moore joined his former head coach Chris Petersen at the University of Washington as a graduate assistant for two years.

In 2016, Tedford joined Washington as an offensive consultant, where he connected with Moore. Tedford brought Moore with him to Fresno State when he was hired.

“He’s great. I got an opportunity to be with him last year at Washington, and that was the reason I hired him,” Tedford said. “He’s a real attention-to-detail guy. He does a great job and is a really good coach. I’m really happy to have him here.”

The Bulldogs are in their second week of spring practice, and Moore is happy with his role as a coach.

“It’s been a really good experience learning from all of our offensive staff and coach Tedford,” Moore said. “It’s been a great transition for me, and we have a really good group of receivers, so I enjoy working with them every day.”

Junior KeeSean Johnson was Fresno State’s leading wide receiver last season. He said spring practices with Moore have gone well.

“He’s been excellent,” Johnson said. “He’s been teaching me things that have been helping me personally getting out of my breaks, different ways of catching in traffic and everything like that.”

Moore’s history as a Bronco has led to some lighthearted moments between him and his receivers.

“I always give him crap about it, and just tell him how we are going to play hard against Boise State this year,” Johnson said. “I’m just giving him stuff all the time about how we’re going to play against them.”

Fresno State hosts Boise State Nov. 25, the last regular-season game. Moore said he is not thinking about facing his former team, and is just focused on coaching his receivers and working on the game plan.

Moore is happy to be in Fresno and appreciates the community’s support of all Bulldog athletics.

“I really enjoy living in Fresno,” Moore said. “Living in Seattle, a big city, that was a great experience, but I’m glad to be back in a smaller community that embraces the football program.”