A model during Fashion Inc.’s fashion show on April 1, 2017. (Christian Ortuno/ The Collegian)

Fashion students strut into movie themed collections

The Satellite Student Union was transformed into a fashion runway on April 1 when over 100 students and community members came to witness  “Lights, Camera, Action!”

The fashion show hosted by Fashion Inc., featured student fashion designs and styles with 90 models. Each of the nine collections reflected the designer or stylist’s movie of choice.

“Last semester everyone in Fashion Inc. voted on a theme and the theme that won was ‘based on a movie,’” said Carolyn Maxwell, senior fashion merchandising major and president of Fashion Inc. “So all of the designers and stylists will be basing their collections either from a favorite movie or a movie they gained style inspiration from or connected with.”

Maxwell said the club started planning the event a year ago.

“Coordinating all of the models together and making sure everyone is in the same place at the same time is the most difficult thing,” Maxwell said.

In between collections, Maxwell raffled off prizes that were donated to the show from Dutch Bros, Bebe O’s, Shi Nail and Spa and other sponsors.

Krystal Smith, a theater arts – costume design major, created every outfit in her collection from scratch to match an interesting take on “The Little Mermaid”.

“I chose to do a kind of Indian or Bollywood version of ‘The Little Mermaid’ because of the sparkles,” Smith said. “I’ve never made those types of outfits before, but I really wanted to do something unique. The biggest challenge is finding the fabrics. They are kind of hard to find.”

Other collections included: Summer ‘91 — inspired by “Boyz in the Hood”; Poor Rich Girl — inspired by “Factory Girl”; Sick Boy — inspired by “Trainspotting”; Wannabe — inspired by “Spice World”; Witness Me — inspired by “Mad Max Fury Road”; Let’s Talk Fashion — inspired by “Confessions of a Shopaholic”; Wild — inspired by “Where the Wild Things Are”; and We Digital 2k17 — inspired by “Dope.”

Designers and stylists were responsible for recruiting their own models. Some models were students, but others were friends of the stylists. Riley Soriano, a local model and friend of Smith, modeled in the “Under the Sea” collection.

“[The show] adds art to the campus,” Soriano said. “We have a theater department. We have art and dance and all that stuff, but this is also a big portion of art that I think is unique.”

Brandon Sepulveda, ASI vice president of finance, was in the audience and said ASI donated $2,600 to the event.
“I think these kinds of events give students that are involved in extracurricular activities the chance to showcase their skills and their passions,” Sepulveda said. “Planning the event, organizing it, getting all of the models — fashion and design is a lot of work, so it really helps to get themselves out there, and we are glad to support them in any way we can.”