Two toddlers found roaming Shaw Avenue alone

A woman on Monday found two toddlers walking alone on Shaw Avenue, a few blocks from Fresno State, Fresno Police Lt. Joe Gomez said.

He said there was no adult with the children, who were found just outside the Aetna building, located on the 1300 block of East Shaw Avenue. The woman who found the toddlers — 2-and 3- year-old-girls — stayed with them until police arrived.

As they were investigating, a 30-year-old man arrived and said he was the uncle of the two little girls, Gomez said. A woman — grandmother of the toddlers and mother of the man — also arrived.

The little girls live with family in an upstairs apartment on the 3300 block of East Sierra Madre Avenue, one street behind where the toddlers were found, Gomez said.

He added that the grandmother had taken some older children to school, and the toddlers must have escaped from the front door of the apartment when the uncle was asleep. Gomez said the children were found just before 9 a.m.

Gomez said no charges are planned for the family, but Child Protective Services did show up to the home to conduct an evaluation.