The Henry Madden Library. (Dalton Runberg/The Collegian)

Redditor YouTubes his way to $20,000 misuse

A Fresno State library employee may have cost the university as much as $22,208 by misusing his time watching videos online, playing video games and visiting non-work related websites.

The California State Auditor received a complaint that the unidentified employee used his work computer to visit nonwork sites during business hours. The state asked the university to investigate the complaint.

The audit said the employee’s computer contained more than 48,300 webpage visits, which were not work-related. His duties include supervising student assistants, training staff, shelving library materials and supporting building security.

The websites that the employee visited include YouTube, Game Box, Drudge Report, SiriusXM, and Reddit, according to the audit.

Deborah Adishian-Astone, vice president for administration at Fresno State, said in a statement that the university is taking the matter very seriously, but does not comment on the specific issue.

“There are instances where such conduct could result in findings of suspension or termination of employment,” Adishian-Astone said.

The investigation prompted a series of recommendations to Fresno State, including assigning more work to the employee, limiting his internet use and providing more direct supervision of the employee to ensure that he uses his work time to benefit the needs of the library.

According to the audit, Fresno State reported in February that it is following the recommendations and provided the employee with a formal notice outlining the recommendations.