Jonathan Kite performs a comedy show in the Satellite Student Union on March 22, 2017. Kite is best known as “Oleg,” a Ukrainian chef on the CBS comedy show, “Two Broke Girls.” The event was free to Fresno State students with a valid ID. ( Yezmene Fullilove/ The Collegian)

Jonathan Kite brings millennial laughs to campus

Comedian and “2 Broke Girls ”actor Jonathan Kite performed his stand-up comedy show at Fresno State.

“Colleges are such a specific [demographic],” he said. “It’s one of the only places in the world where the age is 18 to 22.”

Kite said he keeps the audience in mind when deciding what he’ll discuss while on stage. He said he feels that college students are much different from other generations of college students.

“When I was in college, I didn’t watch as much TV,” Kite said. “When you get to be 22 and you get out of college — when you have free nights and you’re, like, sitting at home and you have nothing to do — you’re going to watch Netflix all the time.”

Kite held conversations with audience members throughout the show.

“He really played with the students, and he was really down-to-earth,” said Fresno State freshman Michal Chrissakis.

“He definitely speaks to the times without being alienating,” said Ashley Flowers, a Fresno State graduate.

Flowers said she felt Kite did well at improvising responses to what audience members said.

“Almost the entire first half of the performance just seemed to be ad-libbed, and I was pretty impressed with his quick comebacks,” Flowers said.

Kite said he performed improv comedy while in college. Although many people might know him from “2 Broke Girls,” Kite said his stand-up comedy differs from his role on the show.

Regarding his work acting on “2 Broke Girls,” Kite said, “I play a character in a diner on a make-believe show.”

Kite began performing stand-up comedy because he found himself with the time to do it.

“I think to get to good, it takes a very, very, very long time. And so, you have to have that time to give,” Kite said.