ICE recruiting plans at Save Mart Center job fair draw scrutiny on social media

On Wednesday, recruiters from the Immigrations and Customs Enforcement agency are scheduled to take part in a job fair at the Save Mart Center.

The plans drew scrutiny Tuesday night on social media as some expressed concerns, even after Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro responded by saying ICE was only appearing for recruitment purposes.

Protesters are planning to organize and publicly oppose the agency from participating in the event. The protest was announced early Tuesday as an event on Facebook called “Protest Border Patrol at Fresno State Career Fair.”

“We don’t believe that Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Border Patrol or any other entity that exists for the purpose of terrorizing and deporting our community should be allowed on campus period,” said Luis Ojeda, one of the protest organizers and a Fresno State alumnus.

Castro tweeted his response as concerns grew.

“As a federal agency, ICE is [at the Save Mart Center] Wednesday for our career recruitment event only,” Castro said. “ICE is not there [for] immigration-related reasons.”

Users on Twitter responded quickly, asking Castro to rethink his decision to allow the agency to participate. Some believed the agency’s presence could be stressful to students and the university should avoid giving them a platform.

ICE agents and immigration policy have recently made headlines due to national discussions regarding border patrol enforcement and undocumented residents in the United States.

Ojeda recalled Castro’s address to students regarding immigration policies put forth by President Donald Trump.

“In January he said that Fresno State was committed to its mission ‘To boldly educate and empower students for success with our core value of diversity, inclusion and respect for all,’” Ojeda said.

He added, that if Castro is serious about protecting undocumented students, he and the people behind the protest ask him to reconsider his position on allowing the agency from attending the event and from being allowed on campus.

“Fresno State’s slogan of ‘Discovery. Diversity. Distinction.’ should be our guiding values rather than ‘Discrimination. Detention. Deportation,’” Ojeda said. “There is still time to rescind Border Patrol’s invitation and remedy this reckless decision.”

The event will be held in the Save Mart Center from 1:30 to 5:00 p.m.