Dropping in numbers, African-American students are left behind

The African-American student population at Fresno State and in the California State University (CSU) system is facing a continual decline, even though general enrollment is at an all-time high.

According to the Fresno State Office of Institutional Effectiveness, from 2012 through 2016, African-American students slowly dropped in numbers. Reasons for the low enrollment may vary, but if the trend continues, African-American students will make up less than 1 percent of the universityā€™s population in the following years.

On campus, African-American student population has dropped from 3.2 percent to 2 percent in the past four years.

This issue does not only present itself at Fresno State but is seen in the CSU system as a whole. In 2012, there were 20,902 African-American students enrolled in the system. In 2016, there were approximately 20,009, according to CSU Analyst Studies.

Last year, when CSU Chancellor Dr. Timothy P. White hosted a forum on campus, the Afrikan Black Coalition voiced their concerns. Outside of the forum, 68 red shirts were laid on the floor representing the 68 African-American students who had dropped out since the beginning of the semester.

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro addressed the concerns during the forum, and said: ā€œWe share their concerns about the decrease in the number of African-American students at Fresno State, and actually, in higher education across the country. I believe itā€™s going to take time, but Iā€™m confident that with the right strategies, our enrollment will grow.ā€Ā

Recently, the university began establishing resources for African-American student success.

Ciara Armstead, a senior public health major and former president of Black Students United (BSU), is working toward the success of African-American students.

Armstead explained that geography plays a role in the drop of African-American freshmen enrollment.

ā€œThereā€™s a low density of African-American people in Fresno,ā€ Armstead said. ā€œIf youā€™re outside of the service area [for example Los Angeles], you have to have a higher grade point average to get into the university.ā€Ā

In order to get local students interested in applying to a four-year university, Fresno State is reviving an outreach program.

ā€œThe ambassador program are students serving in the Fresno area where theyā€™re going out to middle schools and high schools,ā€ Armstead said. ā€œTheyā€™re talking to the students about A-G requirements and SATs and ACTs.ā€Ā

Although there are many Black Students United members currently participating in the program, they look for all volunteers interested in making a difference. The program hopes to expand outside of Fresno County, where there are high populations of African-Americans students.

Armstead is also part of the Afrikan Black Coalition, a student-created organization from the University of California system that works to fix African-American acceptance and retention levels. The organization chapter on campus works closely with University President Dr. Joseph Castro.

ā€œWe directly work with the president and his cabinet to make sure programs like this get off the ground,ā€ Armstead said. ā€œ[The program] is structured in a way to help African-American students recruitment and retention rates.ā€Ā

One program initiated was the Office of Black Student Success, which began in the fall and was opened through the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP).

ā€œItā€™s a program through EOP that helps specifically African-American students with advising and keeping everyone accountable for their education and making sure they are adapting to the university well,ā€ Armstead said.

Armstead also said the programs for African-American students in the Cross Culture and Gender Center help promote studentsā€™ success.

The university worked to get African-American freshmen excited about their journey in higher education, through the Harambee Retreat. The three-day event was held over the summer and gave a transitional experience for African-American students.

ā€œIt was to really get African-American students acquainted with the Fresno State campus, faculty and staff before starting school,ā€ Armstead said.

Armstead owes her success to the students and staff that made her feel like the campus was ā€œhome,ā€ she said.

She explained that student success canā€™t be done by one person, but the entire community coming together.

ā€œMaking sure all students feel welcome and accepted at the university,ā€ Armstead said. ā€œI think that will be the biggest key to success at Fresno State.ā€Ā