Fresno State center Bego Faz Davalos and Boise State players fight over the ball on Feb. 28 at the Save Mart Center. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

‘Dogs test luck in Vegas, come up short

The Fresno State men and women’s basketball teams fell short in Las Vegas at the Mountain West Conference Tournament, but the men still have a shot at winning a championship.

The women made it to the championship game Friday, but lost to Boise State 66-53. Center Bego Faz Davalos scored 11 points and led the team with 14 rebounds, while guard Candice White led the team with 14 points.

After making the NCAA Tournament last year for the first time since 2001, the men failed to repeat. They lost in the conference semifinals to eventual champion Nevada 83-72. Guard Deshon Taylor continued his late season tear with 21 points.

Although they did not make the tournament this year, the Bulldogs men will compete in the National Invitation Tournament. The Bulldogs are seeded fifth in Region 4 and will play at No. 4 seed Texas Christian University Wednesday.

The women await the Women’s National Invitation Tournament announcement set for Monday night to see if their season will continue.