Customers pack their bowls with frozen yogurt and other food items at Yogurtland in Campus Pointe on Feb. 6, 2017. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

Yogurtland gives back on International FroYo Day

Giving back to the Fresno community was the goal of the Yogurtland Campus Pointe team by celebrating International Frozen Yogurt Day with free yogurt on Monday.

Green and pink decorations lit up the business, and more than 1,000 Fresnans came out to get free frozen yogurt and toppings from 4 to 7 p.m.

“Our goal [was] to run out,” said Ajay Hira, owner of Yogurtland Campus Pointe and Yogurtland River Park.

Hira said giving back to the community through free yogurt was the least he could do.

“It’s about the community. This is a way for us, and for me as a business owner, to give back,” Hira said.

Setting aside time by giving back and showing gratitude, Hira said, has always been a part of his business plan. He gives back to the community through education and health.

“We believe in promoting education for our youth, living an active lifestyle and also eating healthy,” he said. “That’s why we have fresh-cut fruit.”

Hira said he wants the event to set an example for other businesses and for those in the community who experience food insecurity to have a place where they can eat for free.

“People like [Yogurtland], they are good people,” Rodrigo Cabrera, a Bullard High School student, said. “They are volunteering their [yogurt] for free. It’s just good what they are doing for people that come out here and need more food.”

When asked at 5:30 p.m., Cabrera said that he had been waiting in line since 3:40 p.m.

Manuel Orozzo, a shift leader at Yogurtland, has worked with the company for three years. He said,Yogurtland has many fans and likes the support from customers.

“It’s amazing to see where the line goes,” Orozzo said. “It’s just great to see all this support.”

Seeing all kinds of friendly faces was Orozzo’s favorite part of the event. He said, he also enjoyed seeing different yogurt creations, some measuring more than six inches.

“My favorite yogurt is the vanilla bean with the strawberry lemonade sorbet,” Hira the owner said. “You’ve got a little creamy, and you’ve got a little sweet.”

Giant green and pink Yogurtland spoons were handed out to the first 100 customers.  

Deejay D. Soto  provided the music for customers along with hip-hop artist Zee Will, who sang his own tunes for the crowd.

Hira said he noticed the connection made among people from all parts of Fresno who came together to enjoy each other’s company and frozen yogurt.

“We want to give without the expectation of receiving,” he said. “If it wasn’t for the Fresno community, we wouldn’t be where we are today.”