Lydia Night sings with the audience on Friday, Feb. 24, 2017. (Yezmene Fullilove/ The Collegian)

Girl power punk band: no ‘Regrettes’

Los Angeles-based punk band The Regrettes played in front of a sold-out crowd at Strummer’s on Friday, Feb. 24.  

The band opened for San Diego-based band The Frights and Orange County duo The Garden.

The Regrettes’ lineup consists of 16-year-old frontwoman Lydia Night, 18-year-old drummer Maxx Morando, 19-year-old bassist Sage Nicole and 19-year-old guitarist Genessa Gariano.

Morando, the only male member, was the first one onstage and opened the set with a heavy drum beat. Moments later, Night, Nicole and Gariano walked out to cheers from the crowd, and for the entirety of the 35-minute set, the band introduced its unique sound and honest lyrics to Fresno.

The Regrettes’ sound can be best described as doo-wop-punk that meshes perfectly with the feminist outlook the band has — both in song and as individuals.

The band formed in 2015 and is signed with Warner Bros. Records. It released its debut album “Feel Your Feelings Fool!” on Jan. 13.

The album includes tracks such as “A Living Human Girl,” which explores the truths of what it is like being female, as well as a track called “Ladylike / WHATTA B****,” which Night told the crowd she wrote about herself.

In the song, Night discusses expectations women constantly have to deal with and then pokes fun at herself with lyrics like, “I heard that she’s a feminist, so she must not shave her pits,” and, “I heard she’s in a band like, ‘Wow, you’re so cool, we get it.’”

The audience was engaged the entire time The Regrettes were onstage. In the crowd, someone was always dancing, jumping, crowd-surfing or stage-diving.
The Regrettes captured Fresno’s attention Friday night and I wouldn’t be surprised if the next time the band comes here it manages to do the same.