Cory Nelson, the new wing commander for the Fresno State ROTC detachment 35, is in the ROTC office, on Jan. 27, 2017. (Daniel Avalos/The Collegian)

Cory Nelson ‘perfect fit’ as new Air Force ROTC wing commander

A Lompoc native and a Fresno State senior studying computer science, was overwhelmed with excitement and disbelief when he received the news he was being named cadet wing commander.

Cadet Cory Nelson was named cadet wing commander during the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Change of Command Parade at Bulldog Stadium last fall.  

“In that minute, I was like, ‘Oh boy, I got it,’” Nelson said with a wide grin. “I was so happy and then the next moment, I was like, ‘Wow, I’m probably going to have a lot of work to do.’”

The semester before the cadet being selected to be wing commander, the AFROTC collects bids from the upper-class cadets, consisting of juniors and seniors.

Operations Flight Commander Capt. Larry Cornelio, along with the rest of the cadre, an assembly of enlisted and active-duty Air Force officers and Fresno State staff who run the university detachment, evaluate all aspects of the candidates and whom they find the best fit for the position. Based off all the briefings and assessments, they believed that Nelson fulfilled most of the requirements.

“Cadet Cory Nelson had not only the expertise of being one of the most senior cadets of the cadet wing, but he has a very good GPA, a very high physical fitness average and scores very well under military performance,” Cornelio said. “He’s the perfect fit for our wing commander for spring 2017.”

Nelson is responsible for overseeing 40 cadets in the program, ensuring that they all stay on track while juggling work outside of school and a full-time class schedule. Although the position is demanding, he couldn’t be any happier about ending his last semester at Fresno State as wing commander. He has large plans for the spring.

May Rou, a first-year cadet, seeks inspiration from Nelson. She anticipates the kind of legacy he will leave behind to Fresno State, Detachment 35.

“[With] him as a leader, I want to learn how to be a good leader also,” Rou said. “I want to be able to lead this detachment. When he’s gone, I’ll step up, and I’ll do what I can.”

Nelson anticipates graduation in May and will be commissioned into the Air Force in June. With help from his computer science degree, he is excited to launch his career as a cyber operations officer.

He strives to serve his country like how his grandfather, a U.S. Air Force veteran once did.