Charie’ Payne shares one of her poems at the Henry Madden Library in room 2206 during the Poetry Jam event on Feb. 1, 2017. (Khone Saysamongdy/ The Collegian)

Celebrating Black History Month through poetry

Students showed off their talents in poetry, song and rap at Poetry Jam: An Open Mic in honor of Black History Month.

The Cross Cultural and Gender Center hosted the event in the Henry Madden Library on Feb. 1.

Performer Kameron Brooks presented a poetry piece written by Langston Hughes, which expressed the everyday struggles as an African-American male.

“It felt good to get my message out,” Brooks said. “To have the opportunity to express myself through poetry is an amazing feeling. I’m truly blessed.”

Brooks was one of the veteran performers at the event. He mentioned this performance was just one of many he’s done in the community. Brooks said he will continue to perform when given the opportunity.

Music was played along with unique storytelling that completely captured the audience’s attention. The audience laughed, cried, nodded and listened.

Student Te’Szhia Walker. said this was her first time at a poetry jam

“All of the performers were so good. I plan to attend every year if I’m able to,” Walker said.

While there were exceptions, for many performers it was their first time in front of an audience.

Cheryl Kingston said she was proud of the first time performers.

“I remember my first time performing in front of an audience. It was nerve-racking,” Kingston said. “It reminded me of how important poetry jams use to be to the communities everywhere. I’m glad they are giving the students and community this opportunity.”

Kingston thanked the university and faculty for hosting the event.

Fliers were passed out for the event, but word of mouth through students and faculty contributed to the success of the event, organizers said.

Kingston said poetry jams inspire young artists to share their thoughts and experiences with the community.