(The Collegian file photo)

Alleged serial groper pleads not guilty

DéAndre Jean-Pierre, a former TimeOut mascot for Fresno State and communication and theatre arts major, pleaded not guilty Tuesday morning in Fresno Superior Court to five misdemeanor charges of sexual battery.

Jean-Pierre, who is accused of sexually assaulting several women near the campus, was ordered to return to court on March 21 for a status hearing, and his trial could begin April 6.

He was a senior at Fresno State when he was arrested in December on suspicion of being the serial groper attacking women near the northwest side of Fresno State. He posted bail Dec. 3.

Some of the incidents in which Jean-Pierre is accused occurred in June, October and November of 2016. Witnesses told police that he allegedly groped victims at University Village and Plaza Apartments, located on the northwest corner of Cedar and Barstow.  

Along with serving as a mascot, Jean-Pierre was a member of the Onyx club and played a role in the play “Hands Up: 7 Playwrights & Testaments.”

Jean-Pierre declined to answer questions from The Collegian on Tuesday. It was not immediately confirmed if Jean-Pierre is a current student.