Redshirt junior guard Jaron Hopkins (#1) goes up for a layup against the Colorado State defense on Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2017, at the Save Mart Center. (Christian Ortuno/The Collegian)

Weekend of wins

Women’s Basketball 

Sophomore guard Candice White (#10) drives to the basket for a reverse layup in the team’s win over the Nevada Wolf Pack on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2017 at the Save Mart Center. (Christian Ortuno/The Collegian)

Returning home after a tough loss to Colorado State, the Fresno State women’s basketball team defeated Nevada 68-54 after a slow start on Saturday afternoon to improve to 11-8 overall and  4-4 in conference play.

“We had a little bit of layover from the Colorado State game, but Nevada is a good team,” Hhead coach Jaime White said,.Not quite pleased with our rebounding and foul trouble. We mixed it up in the second half and I think our kids really answered the call.” 

Led by redshirt sophomore guard Tory Jacobs, who had a season-high 21 points and season-high four steals in 39 minutes of play time, the Bulldogs edged the Wolf Pack to snap their two game losing streak 

Junior center Bego Faz Davalos secured her 14th double-double of the season with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Candace White had 15 points and scored three 3-pointers in a season-low 20 minutes of action.

With a week break, the Bulldogs will host Utah State (9-9, 2-5 MW) at home on Saturday, Jan. 28 at 2 p.m.

Men’s Basketball

Maintaining its hot win streak, the Fresno State men’s basketball team secured its third straight win on Saturday in Reno, NV, after a hard-fought 81-76 win over the conference leading Nevada Wolf Pack.

Five Bulldogs scored in double figures, led by junior guard Jaron Hopkins who had 19 points, six rebounds and five assists on the day. Underclassmen Deshon Taylor and Bryson Williams followed suit with 18 and 14 points, respectively.

The Bulldogs converted a season-high 80 percent of their free throw attempts (20-25), an area that the team often struggles with.

Head coach Rodney Terry said, “We’re just taking it possession by possession and in practice going as hard as we can go, and then game by game as hard as we can go. That’s our approach.”

With a bye this week, the Bulldogs (13-7, 5-3 MW) will travel to Logan, UT, next week to take on Utah State (8-10, 2-5 MW) on Saturday, Jan. 28 at 6 p.m.

Swimming & Diving 

Freshman Kimberly Harbert prepares for her race on the platform at the Chick-Fil-A Invitational on Friday, Oct. 7, 2016 at the Aquatics Center. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

The Bulldogs returned home from their Southern California winter road trip to defeat Cal State East Bay 177-144 at the Aquatics Center on Saturday afternoon.

Fresno State started the meet strong taking first and second place in the first event, the 400-meter Medley Relay.

“I was really happy with the way we performed today,” head coach Jeanne Fleck said, “I thought our butterflyers made great adjustments. Our individual stroke swimmers were right on in their races today and that gave us a huge advantage.” 

Sophomore Ugne Mazutaityte placed first in the 1,000 Freestyle with a time of 10:12.39, the fastest time by a Bulldog in this event this season. Junior Casey Kennemann finished right behind Mazutaityte with a time of 10:49.18 to take second place.

The Bulldogs had eight additional first place finishes in the other events at the meet to improve to 4-2 on the season. They return to the Aquatics Center on Saturday, Jan. 28 at noon to take on conference rival San Jose State.