New positions added in the president’s office and ASI

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro formally introduced his first-ever presidential intern, Kendalyn Mack, at the Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) meeting last Wednesday.  

Mack is currently studying public health and will be working alongside Castro on special projects. She will also be in communication with ASI, working to identify potential needs for the student body.

“She is a passionate advocate for all of you, and especially for community service,” Castro said.

During the meeting ASI proposed opportunities for student achievement in the spring semester which includes adding two new senate seats to the student government.

The spring semester is election season for the senate positions and referendums. One large referendum item will be the “Bold New U” in which students will have the deciding vote on building a new student union, along with electing new senators.

“If we are to pursue adding additional senate positions, [it will need to be put] forward to a vote this semester by the student body,” Ryan said.

The two new positions include a senator for veteran and transfer affairs and a senator for diversity.

The senator for veteran and transfer affairs would be the voice for students who are veterans and transfer students of the university. This senator will work with these groups of students, helping them with concerns or goals they have. This senator will also be vocal, by sharing what those students have to say, to the senate.

The senator of diversity will play a key role in continuing Fresno State’s motto of “Discovery, Diversity and Distinction.” This senator will serve as a liaison between cultural groups and campus administration, as well as planning and attending cultural events on campus.

The positions are to expand student representation in ASI. Tim Ryan, ASI president, said the positions that would be decided upon by ASI will then be put in a referendum for students to vote on in the March 28-30 election.

Students interested in running are encouraged to pick up an election petition and visit the ASI office with questions.

Multiple senators had the opportunity to share what they have planned for the upcoming semester. Alex Gallo, senator at-large for academic affairs introduced the Student Success Summit which is planned for Feb. 28.

“The summit is for students, faculty, staff and administration. All to help understand each other’s role in student success,” Gallo said.

The event will include an open panel and motivational speakers.

It was also announced at the meeting that ASI received a national award for the Central Valley Student Leadership Summit hosted in October. ASI received the bronze level excellence award in civic engagement from Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education. The event hosted colleges and universities throughout the state.

ASI meetings are every other Wednesday at 4 p.m. in the University Student Union rooms 312-314 and are open to the public. The next meeting will be Feb. 8.