Executive orders spell public chaos

Just a week into the new administration and many are questioning if we are living in a regime oddly reminiscent of George Orwell’s novel, “1984.”

In only the first week, the swift move on many issues such as building The Wall, blanket mistrust of an entire group of people — Muslims, in addition to freezing of funds and grant opportunities for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the controversial media blackout have elicited many concerns on both sides of the aisle.

Many who were holding out hope that the rather extreme rhetoric brandished during the campaign was simply theatrical hand-waving meant to attract attention, but are now beginning to realize that those policies are actually what the new administration and its leader believe in.

All of these topics shine a light on the potential governing style that this new administration is preparing to adopt, with regards to not only domestic, but foreign affairs as well.

The harsh and unbending bargaining style that is being displayed, especially pertaining to the proposed border wall between the United States and Mexico, is one example. The administration has stated openly that it wants Mexico to pay for The Wall.

This has clearly angered leading, high-ranking Mexican officials, who have refused to meet with the administration to further these discussions. This is rather puzzling behavior considering that Mexico is an ally of the United States, and we rely heavily on its oil, agricultural goods and other trade items.

With regards to the blanket mistreatment and mistrust of Muslims, citizens of seven countries such as Syria, Iraq, Iran and Libya, are currently believed by the U.S. government to be connected to terrorism or terrorist activities.

Because of a potential Muslim ban, legal residents who hold green cards, residents like groundbreaking scientists from John Hopkins University, are being denied reentry into the country.

A study done by the Libertarian Cato Institute concluded that over 700,000 asylum seekers and 3.25 million refugees, between 1975 and 2015, have been admitted into the United States. Out of that, only four asylum seekers and 20 refugees have actually become terrorists.

The freezing of funds and grant opportunities for the EPA is a blatant example of anti-intellectualism and science denial. Global warming, outside of nuclear war, is the greatest threat to the continuation of the species.

This thought was echoed in a recent speech given by long-time social commentator and public intellectual Noam Chomsky. The MIT professor of linguistics has had a reputation over many years of being critical of U.S. policies both foreign and domestic, in hopes of keeping the public informed. This is an important sentiment held by many who hope to uphold the most important tenets of a true democracy which is the freedom to openly question leadership without fear of reprisal.

Almost immediately after the freezing of funds and grant opportunities for the EPA there was a media blackout enacted for all those employed by the agency and other connected groups. This is a form of censorship that borders on being unconstitutional and violates the free ability to disseminate information across open and public space, namely the internet.

Already these executive orders have had an immediate impact as multitudes across the country  have begun protesting in airports from LAX to LaGuardia to express a wide range of emotions from fear to anger in response to these new restrictions.

Many, in spite of the muzzling job done at the EPA, have also taken to social media to voice its opinions and possibly unify a populace who fears that their government is on an unprecedented path of power abuse.

The worry that these executive actions are setting an unwanted standard for future decisions that will have far greater implications and repercussions is very real for many across this great nation and those looking to be welcomed into its ranks as future citizens.

The new administration is running at a fever pitch and testing its legal boundaries in many areas including public dissonance but we as a populace refuse to remain quiet.

We will not be silenced.