Fresno State head coach Rodney Terry and the men’s basketball team celebrate after winning the Mountain West Tournament title on March 12 in Las Vegas. (Steve Nowland/NCAA Photos)

Terry extended through 2021

Fresno State and head basketball coach Rodney Terry agreed on a five year contract extension through 2021.

“It is an incredible honor to be the head coach here at Fresno State and I’m very excited about what we have built,” Terry said. “We’re really appreciative of the wonderful support we receive from our University and community. Dr. Castro has a vision for how academics and athletics are rising together at Fresno State, which is a further testament to how committed we are to winning on and off the court. We take great pride in how we represent the Valley.”

The basketball program has seen a revitalization under Terry. Last season, the team returned to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2001.

“The hard work and integrity Coach Terry brings to the program every day is just one of the reasons this new contact was developed and executed,” athletic director Jim Bartko said. “Rodney is an excellent game prep coach and knows the X’s and O’s; however, it is his development of these students into young men who will make a difference in our community that is a wonderful attribute that makes Coach Terry special. I look forward to more championships and postseason play under his leadership.”

Terry is currently in his sixth year at the helm, and is off to a solid start, similar to last season. The Bulldogs finished non-conference play with an 8-4 record, and are ready to start their Mountain West schedule.

Last season, Fresno State finished second in the conference to San Diego State in the regular season, and defeated San Diego State in the Mountain West tournament championship to earn a bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Securing this extension is important for Fresno State. Big-time schools could try to pry Terry away at season’s end, but with the extension, Fresno State has given itself a better chance at retaining the popular coach.