‘Passion Play’ gives a historical twist to politics

The Fresno State University Theatre this month is presenting “Passion Play: Part 1 & 2” on campus at the John Wright Theatre.

This “behind-the-scenes play within a play” is written by playwright Sarah Ruhl and is being directed by professor Ruth Griffin.

The play has two separate parts, but both have the same storyline: a group of community members struggling with their own personal problems working together to put on the Passion play while a controversial government is on the rise. The Passion play is a long-running, historic play of the final week of Jesus Christ leading to his crucifixion.

The two plays are set in historic time periods in which the governments became heavily involved in the personal lives of their citizens and had a large impact on faith. In this production, those time periods are Elizabethan England in 1575 and Nazi Germany 1934.

“Sarah Ruhl’s triptych ‘Passion Play’ does not set out to disparage, question or disrupt belief in the precepts of any religion,” Griffin states in her director’s note, “Rather she warns of the dangers of religion in the hands of authoritarian government.”

In Part 1, the actors are rehearsing the play in the time of Queen Elizabeth’s reign when religious power was taken by the monarchy. At that time, Catholic traditions were banished and citizens were forced to the teachings of the Anglican Church.

In Part 2, the play is set to the period of Hitler’s reign when his rising power was threatening to reshape Europe. Under his rule, the 300th anniversary of the Passion play is underway in the town of Oberammergau, and the Nazis were in hopes the play would send an anti-Semitic message.

In both plays, actors shared with the audience the personal struggles they faced while juggling their roles in the Passion play. Although the two plays are from very distinct time periods, the actors face similar struggles with love, family and dreams.

The play is done in an “Epic Theatre” style with the addition of magical realism. In this style various types of scenes are put together throughout the story in which the actor speaks to the audience revealing some type of idea or concern.

“In this style of theatre, the actor and text strove to awaken the audience to the social commentary of the work,” said Griffin.

In both parts they finish with the appearance of the political leaders themselves, announcing to the audience their perspective and presenting the greatness of their reign.

Hitler did actually visit the production that occurred in 1934.

“I was drawn to this work through the complexities of staging the Passion of Christ within the context of history,” Griffin stated. “The production is not intended to dispute Christian beliefs, but rather examine the dangerous role religion and depictions of power can play when wielded from the hands of an authoritarian government. Following our most recent presidential election, it is critical we continue to examine the roles in which government exerts itself.”

“The Passion Play: Part 1 & 2” will be running every day through Dec. 10 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 for students.