Fresno State sophomore guard Candice White (#10) shoots a free throw after a technical foul is called on a Cal State Dominguez Hill’s player on Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016 at the Save Mart Center. (David Chavez/The Collegian)

‘Dogs dominate Toros

The Fresno State women’s basketball team put on a dominant performance on Wednesday night as they defeated Cal State Dominguez Hills 73-63 at the Save Mart Center.

The Bulldogs captured the victory by owning the paint and getting contributions from every Fresno State player who got to see action on the floor.

The ’Dogs started the game going ahead 11-0. The gap would stay in double digits for the remainder of the game. It was not until five minutes into the game, CSUHD senior guard Imari Brown made the first field goal for the Toros ending the scoring drought.

The teams entered the half with Fresno State out in front 39-27. A balanced scoring effort showed junior center Bego Faz Davalos with four points, sophomore guard Tory Jacobs with five, senior forward/center Anais Kirvan with eight and sophomore guard Candice White with 9.

The ’Dogs continued their impressive play into the third expanding its lead to 21 points with two minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter.

White finished the game with 21 points to lead the ’Dogs in scoring. Davalos had 10 points and 19 rebounds to earn another double-double in her collegiate career.

The Toros’ coaching staff boasted a familiar face for the Bulldogs as Jaleesa Ross was on the bench as assistant coach. Ross, who played for the ’Dogs from 2007-11) is the all-time leading scorer for Fresno State (2,002).

The win brings Fresno State’s record to 5-3. The team travels to Stockton for a game against the Pacific Tigers Saturday, Dec. 10 at 5 p.m.