Former Fresno State star athletes Paul George (left) and Derek Carr (right) greet each other during a Golden State Warriors vs Indiana Pacers game at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California, on Monday, Dec. 5, 2016. (Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)

Bulldog born, Bulldog bred: From ‘Dogs to the pros

Season Stats

• Derek Carr (Quarterback, Oakland Raiders) (Fresno State 2009-2013)

The Oakland Raiders' Derek Carr (4) rolls out against the Buffalo Bills in the first half on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2016 at the Oakland Coliseum in Oakland, Calif. (Dan Honda/Bay Area News Group/TNS)
    The Oakland Raiders’ Derek Carr (4) rolls out against the Buffalo Bills in the first half on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2016 at the Oakland Coliseum in Oakland, Calif. (Dan Honda/Bay Area News Group/TNS)
  • 3,375 yards
  • 24 touchdowns
  • 100.3 QB rating

• The Oakland Raiders are 10-2 and one of the top teams in the NFL. They are currently in first place in the AFC West and also have the best record in AFC Conference. Carr is one of the main reasons for Oakland’s success as he has showcased why he is in consideration for MVP honors. Carr is the first player in NFL history with five game-winning touchdown passes in the 4th quarter or overtime in a season.

• Davante Adams (Wide Receiver, Green Bay Packers) (Fresno State 2011-2013)

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Davante Adams (17) is wide open as he catches a touchdown pass during the second quarter on Sunday, Jan. 10, 2016, at FedEx Field in Landover, Md. (Mark Hoffman/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel/TNS)
  • 793 yards
  • 8 touchdowns
  • 59 receptions

• The NFL is starting to take notice of the former Bulldogs receiver. Adams has become one of Packers’ QB Aaron Rodgers’ most reliable targets. Going into Week 12, Green Bay was 4-6. Adams had five receptions for 113 yards and two touchdowns to help lead the Packers defeat the Philadelphia Eagles 27-13 to snap a four-game losing streak.

• Ryan Mathews (Running Back, Philadelphia Eagles) (Fresno State 2007-2010)

Philadelphia Eagles' Ryan Mathews, right, runs by Minnesota Vikings' Chad Greenway, left, during the third quarter on Sunday, Oct. 23, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pa. The Eagles won 21-10 over the Vikings. (David Maialetti/Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)
    Philadelphia Eagles’ Ryan Mathews, right, runs by Minnesota Vikings’ Chad Greenway, left, during the third quarter on Sunday, Oct. 23, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pa. The Eagles won 21-10 over the Vikings. (David Maialetti/Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)
  • 427 yards
  • 7 Touchdowns
  • 102 Carries

• Despite battling injuries over the course of his career, Mathews has remained a steady No. 1 option when healthy. Mathews has spent time with the San Diego Chargers and the Philadelphia Eagles and has amassed 5,027 yards on 1,131 carries with 36 touchdowns.

• Paul George (Small Forward, Indiana Pacers) (Fresno State 2008-2010)

Courtesy, Indiana Pacers/NBA Photos
    Courtesy, Indiana Pacers/NBA Photos
  • 20.4 points per game
  • 3.6 assists per game
  • 7 rebounds per game

• George is one of the top players in the NBA and a team leader. The Pacers will look to him if they hope to make some noise this season. Injuries have hurt George in the early portion of this season, but his presence is surely felt when he suits up.

• Tyler Johnson (Shooting Guard, Miami Heat) (Fresno State 2010-2014)

The Miami Heat's Tyler Johnson, right, drives to the basket against the New York Knicks' Kristaps Porzingis (6) and Courtney Lee in the second quarter at AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami on Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2016. (Pedro Portal/El Nuevo Herald/TNS)
    The Miami Heat’s Tyler Johnson, right, drives to the basket against the New York Knicks’ Kristaps Porzingis (6) and Courtney Lee in the second quarter at AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami on Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2016. (Pedro Portal/El Nuevo Herald/TNS)
  • 12.4 points per game
  • 3.2 assists per game
  • 4.8 rebounds per game
  • Johnson has become one of the most intriguing players in the NBA. As an undrafted player, Johnson had to prove night in and night out to the league that he was ready for the next level. After some time in the D-League (NBA Developmental League), he was called up by the Heat and has not looked back. With the departure of Dwyane Wade from Miami to Chicago and the uncertainty of Chris Bosh’s playing future, Johnson is being looked upon to perform at a high level every night.