Ellen Phetsa,Jazzmyn Ochoa and Cindy Garzon. (Yezmene Fullilove/The Collegian)

Walking in a fashion wonderland

Even though the weather is still warm and sunny, soon the winter chill will make its way to Fresno. Winter is arguably the coziest time of year, perfect for sweatpants, UGG boots and oversized hoodies.

But what about that date night at Christmas Tree Lane? Or Christmas parties at work? What will you do when the temperature drops below 70 degrees, but you still want to look your best?

Fresno State fashion merchandising major Jazzmyn Ochoa said the newest winter trends are ordinary shoes, with a twist.

“Loafers for females are really in — and backless loafers,” Ochoa said. “Ankle boots — for female fashion — are boots that are about mid-calf, a little higher than your ankle, and it’s a solid color.”

Ochoa is the club secretary for Fashion Inc., a campus club at Fresno State. The club has three main goals: community service, connecting students to behind the scenes work in fashion and participating in outreach programs for kids at local elementary and high schools. These programs are designed to inform students about fashion merchandising degree opportunities at Fresno State.

Ochoa has dreams of becoming a stylist for runway and magazine fashion.

“I want to work [with] more of the backstage of styling. Like helping with a fashion show, styling what every girl will wear head to toe,” Ochoa said. “And also maybe working for a magazine as an assistant stylist or maybe end up being an editorial stylist.”

Carolyn Maxwell, the club president, said she’s more interested in jewelry.

“Some of the trends in jewelry right now are statement necklaces, statement earrings, statement bracelets and minimalist jewelry outside of that statement piece,” Maxwell said. “During the holiday/winter time, pearls are really in right now, and the color black.”

Maxwell’s career path is ever-changing, but she said she is currently interested in sustainable fashion.

“It’s basically eco-fashion,” Maxwell said. “I’d work with traceability so consumers know where their clothes come from, where the textile was grown and created.”

Maxwell said she has noticed a pattern in menswear for the upcoming season.

“I’ve seen a lot of guys wearing cozy knits and long cardigans, and I think that will be trending for the winter,” Maxwell said.

Ochoa and Maxwell agreed that creativity is a huge trend right now that might even save you some money.

“Thrifting and making your own stuff has been hot lately,” Maxwell said.

Ochoa said thrift store shopping is one of her favorite ways to shop.

“It’s a huge trend right now to take older more grunge stuff and make it more polished,” Ochoa said. “It’s taking an older thing [and] a newer thing and making it your own.”

Maxwell said it’s more important to feel good about your outfit than to worry about keeping up with the trends.

“The important thing is that even if something is ‘out’, if you’re rocking it and [it’s] your style then there should be nothing stopping you,” Maxwell said. “If it makes you feel confident, then that’s what you need to wear.”