Fresno State Professor Kamy Martinez (left) and Fresno State Alumni Lorena Moreno (right) view art at the “Mary Maughelli: Abstract Expressionism and Feminist Artwork” exhibit at the Henry Madden Library on Friday, Nov. 4, 2016. (Yezmene Fullilove / The Collegian)

New exhibit features feminist artwork

The Department of Art and Design and the Henry Madden Library presented an exhibition titled, “Mary Maughelli: Abstract Expressionism and Feminist Artwork” on Nov. 4.

The opening night brought Maughelli’s family, friends, former colleagues and fans together to celebrate her and her art.

“Her abstract expressionist pieces are incredibly good and its shocking to realize she was in her 20’s when she did that,” said curator Nanete Maki-Dearsan. “In terms of her feminist pieces, they were groundbreaking. This is before a lot of the feminist movement took its big artistic swing. It [took] tremendous courage.”

Maki-Dearsan hopes the exhibit will teach the community, especially millennial students, about the importance of abstract expressionism as well as the role Fresno State played in the feminist art movement.

In 1962, Mary Maughelli started her career as a professor in Fresno State’s Department of Art and Design.

Before beginning her career as a professor, she was a student of abstract expressionism at the University of California, Berkeley. She was also a prominent feminist artist, a contemporary of Judy Chicago and a founding member of Gallery 25 in Fresno.

Maughelli was a catalyst in bringing Chicago to Fresno State, which resulted in the formation of the university’s feminist art program, the first of its kind in the United States.

Upon retirement after 36 years of teaching, she became a professor emerita at Fresno State. Maughelli died in October 2015.

Peter McDonald, dean of library services, said women have not had the respect they deserve as artists, so having Maughelli’s art displayed at the library was amazing.

“Women across the spectrum, for centuries, have not had the respect as artists that they deserve,” said Peter McDonald, dean of library services. “It’s great to honor her here.”

Suzie Chang, a third-year art student, said Maughelli’s art is interesting and beautiful.

“The abstract seemed very free,” Chang said. “The feminist artwork is very different. It shows a lot of different kinds of storytelling. The use of colors and how hard-edged the figures she used are — it’s very pronounced. Because it’s feminist art, people think it’s supposed to be soft — that women are supposed to be soft — but it gives off a bold and powerful statement.”

The exhibition is also using Aurasma to enhance the guests’ experience.

“I wrote so much information; people don’t want to read all of that on the wall,” Maki-Dearsan said. “So, you hold your phone up, it tags the painting and it brings you right to that part on the website. It tells you about the painting and its history.”

The free app is available for download on Android and iOS.

The exhibition will be in the Leon S. Peters Ellipse Gallery and will run through Dec. 16.