Protestors join women who have accused Bill Cosby of sexual assault during a rally at Cosby’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in November 2015. Inspired by the case, the California Legislature on Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2016, sent the governor a bill to end the statute of limitations for prosecuting rape and other felony sex crimes. (Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

On The Collegian’s coverage of sexual assault

By Jocelyna Carbajal

Rape is the act of sexual intercourse against the will of a victim that can occur under a variety of circumstances.

Providing news stories and opinions about rape in The Collegian will provide an awareness on campus that wasn’t there beforehand.

Because many students are familiar with each other, this is important to discuss because 85 percent of rapes are committed by someone the victim knows. Some topics to incorporate into your publication are rape mythologies, statistics and counseling services. Discussing mythologies will provide students with clarity about what is and is not rape.

Your publication does a poor job of covering this subject. During August and September, there were not any articles about rape.

From the Fall 2016 issue No. 2, the article “The things incoming students should know exist” by Chueyee Yang, mentions the services Fresno State offers students. However there is no mention of rape counseling services. To include rape, Yang could mention a rape counseling service available for our students.

The next article is from the Fall 2016 No. 1. “The Collegian follows the new age” by Diana Giraldo, explains The Collegian’s mission to inform readers of every day stories of struggles and triumphs. This should include the frequent struggles of rape and rape statistics.