Republican candidate for President Donald Trump campaigns at Dorton Arena Monday, Nov. 7, 2016 in Raleigh N.C. It’s the final day before Election Day. (Jill Knight/Raleigh News & Observer/TNS)

God help us (said the atheist); Trump wins

Well, it’s over. The train wreck of the last two-year presidential race is finally at an end. And in this historic race, we have decided as a nation to support fear and hate, and we elected Donald Trump our president.

Joseph de Maistre, a French philosopher, wrote in 1811, “Every nation gets the government it deserves.”

We have lost, for the moment, to people who seek to spread hatred and fear in order to take the most powerful office in the world — I hope it was worth it.

Trump spread his hate and fearmongering of Mexicans and Muslims. He attacked veterans by saying Sen. John McCain wasn’t a war hero because he was captured in Vietnam — despite Trump not serving, himself. He constantly attacks women on their appearance and even admitted to sexual assault which he later blew off as untrue — despite him being caught on tape saying it.

Every day, Trump went out and showed the world he had no real plans. The things he says are extremely vague — purposefully so.

He said: “I know more about ISIS than the generals, believe me.” Then he explained how he’ll deal with ISIS: “I do know what to do, and I would know how to bring ISIS to the table or beyond that, defeat ISIS very quickly. And I’m not going to tell you what it is … All I can tell you it is a foolproof way of winning.”

On health care, he always says his plan is to “repeal and replace Obamacare.” Replace it with what? “Something terrific,” he says.

Suffice it to say, a Trump presidency is likely to do irreparable damage to our nation and hurt us on the world stage.

What do we do now? We support our president and tell him what needs to be done.

We have to be louder than the racists, bigots and legitimate Republicans who elected this man.

We have to say, “No, you may not spend trillions of our tax dollars trying to deport 11 million undocumented immigrants.” We have to say, “No, you may not ban people from our great country because of the god they pray to.” We have to say, “No, you may not cancel the insurance plans of the 30 million newly insured Americans who have coverage thanks to the Obama administration’s hard work unless you detail a plan that will go into effect immediately so no one loses coverage.”

Hopefully Congress will now be able to get something done after their nearly decadelong temper tantrum of obstructing our first black president. They’ll be more amenable to working with “one of their own” and maybe actually govern for the first time. And hopefully they’ll keep President Trump in check when he tries to push for more radical and racist agendas — fingers crossed.

For people who felt the Bern, like me, it’s now our job to keep President Trump on his toes. We’ve been defeated, but we shouldn’t throw a tantrum. We should work hard to ask Trump to look at issues important to us, and we should find another candidate for the election in 2020 (perhaps New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker who came out strong at the Democratic National Convention).

For Trump supporters and Republicans, you’ve won the day. Congratulations.

After Gov. Mitt Romney’s loss to Obama in 2012, the RNC did a post-mortem on what went wrong. One of the major findings was the platform lacked inclusiveness. But instead of expanding its base of white male adults, it drove hard and fast with making sure that’s — for the most part — the only group it appealed to.

You’ve proven that you don’t need to include women, gays or minorities in your platform to win in America — for better or worse.

Despite having been (and still being) a Bernie Sanders supporter, I hold many conservative values. Had the election been Hillary Clinton versus Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio or even Mitt Romney, I could have gone either way based on certain criteria.

But one of the required criteria I hold dear is that the platform must be inclusive to every person, not just white male adults. Regardless, I will endure the next four years with grace.

It’s going to be President Trump’s job to bring the country together.

It’s going to be President Trump’s job to deal with ISIS; help make the health care more affordable and accessible; help fight climate change (even though he ignores science and thinks it’s a myth); make higher education more affordable; close the wage gap between men and women; support lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people; appoint Supreme Court justices who will reinforce Roe vs. Wade to support a woman’s right to choose what to do with her body.

It’s an incredibly difficult job, and let’s hope all of Trump’s bravado and machismo during the campaign was more than just for show.

Maybe he’ll prove us wrong. Maybe he can do it. He’s our president.

$100
$500

$100
$500

MP3BASEMar 2, 2017 at 12:00 am

God save us

Stupid AtheistNov 9, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Had Trump won by one vote, I’d be happy to accept the blame for having lent my vote to Mr. Johnson.

The choice between the Democrat and Republican has always struck me as akin to deciding which testicle I’d like to be kicked in. In this case, I think taking a boot in the other sack may have, in the long run, hurt more.

That’s the extent of the comfort I have to offer…