A 90-by-135-foot American flag was showcased and held by 200 people including military personnel and members of Mountain View Church of Fresno during Friday’s football game against Air Force Academy (Jenna Wilson/The Collegian).

Fresno State honor veterans

Fresno State on Oct. 28 launched the start of a two-week celebration honoring veterans.

The celebration started with “Salute of Services” at the Bulldogs’ football game vs. the Air Force Academy. The U.S. Air Force Academy Band Cadet and Bugle Corps joined the Bulldog Marching Band for a performance.

During halftime, Chris Moran, president of Solar Negotiators and a U.S. Marine Corps veteran who served in the Iraq conflict, presented “God Bless America.”

Additionally, a 90-by-135-foot American flag was showcased and held by 200 people including military personnel and members of Mountain View Church of Fresno during pregame and halftime.

The exhibition “Honoring Our Veterans: We are the Home of the Free Because of the Brave” will open on Nov. 1. It will show memorabilia and student, staff, faculty and alumni pictures with biographies.

The exhibit will be located in the Henry Madden Library’s Diversity Lounge on the second floor and end on Nov. 30.

The celebration will continue with the Veterans Day 5K Run. The course will run through Fresno State. There will be a one-mile run for children.

The event has a $20 preregistration entrance fee for the general public and a $10 fee for students. Veterans’ organizations and military units will have their entrance fee waived if they wear their group or unit T-shirt. ­­

The celebration will end on Nov. 10 with the Army ROTC presenting colors at the Veterans Monument near the Thomas Building flagpole. It will start at 10 a.m.

Once the memorial service ends, there will be an Armed Forces Walk of Honor beginning at the Rose Garden and ending at Henry Madden Library.

The Fresno State campus will be closed on Nov. 11 in honor of Veterans Day. The University’s Army and Air Force ROTC units will be participating in the Fresno Veterans Parade in Downtown Fresno.

The parade starts at 11 a.m. at Fresno City Hall and will end at Chukchansi Park.