Fresno Foodie: ‘Batter Up’ knocks breakfast out of the park

What’s the hype?

Batter Up is a baseball themed breakfast joint that is famous for their pancakes, and for good reason. It offers a large variety of pancakes all made from scratch, including gluten free and protein options. Aside from the kitchen’s famous pancake flavors like “Apple Cinnamon Chip Crunch” and “The Oreo”, customers have the option to build their own pancake by choosing from a list of mix-ins. It also has other breakfast items such as French toast, omelets, and breakfast sandwiches. Although lunch specials aren’t the most popular menu items, they do offer burgers and salads if you aren’t in the mood for breakfast. They also offer an intense food challenge for those that are feeling extra ambitious.

Where is it?

Batter Up is located on the corner of Cedar Avenue  and Nees Avenue. This restaurant is not too far from the Fresno State campus, and it’s also a quick drive to and from Riverpark. Nearby is fitness center GB3, which is great for those who want a filling meal after a hard workout. Even if you are coming from a further area, this is definitely worth the trip. There is plenty of parking and overall , it is a pretty convenient location.

What’s the cost?

You can either buy one, two or three pancakes with prices starting at around $9.50 up to $16. The omelet list is quite extensive and ranges from $10 to $16 and also offers a build-your-own option. The fitness and lighter meals are healthier options which include breakfast items such as fruit, whole grain toast, and yogurt.

Worth it?

I ordered the Warrior Fitness Breakfast so I could remain true to my healthy roots while still trying a delicious pancake from Batter Up. For $14.99 I got a lot of food. The meal includes two protein pancakes, and a 3-egg omelet with basil, mushrooms, bell peppers, turkey, bacon and provolone cheese over spinach. I thought the pancake might have been kind of dry or flat because of the protein but it was actually still quite fluffy. The omelet was cooked perfectly and was put together well. Having an omelet over spinach is something I would’ve never thought to do, so I thought that was an interesting approach and it added crunch to my omelet.

I would recommend this restaurant and definitely go again. The prices are something that won’t break the bank and you are still getting a quality meal. It’s clear that Batter Up values their name and is passionate about making great food.