Hawai’i celebrates after Fresno State kicker Kody Kroening (#48) has his potential game-winning field goal blocked resulting in a 14-13 loss for the Bulldogs on Saturday night at Bulldog Stadium. (Christian Ortuno/The Collegian)

‘Dogs lose in dramatic fashion

Fresno State was right there, but could not catch a break in a 14-13 loss to Hawaii, extending its losing streak to nine games — longest in the nation.

After leading for most of the game, the Bulldogs gave up a touchdown run with 59 seconds left, giving Hawaii the one-point advantage. On the arm of starting quarterback Zach Kline, the Bulldogs put together a drive like none other all season — nine plays for 49 yards in only 54 seconds.

The Bulldogs were finally in a position to win. It was all set up for kicker Kody Kroening to win the game as time expired with a 43-yard field goal. Kroening had only missed one field goal in 16 attempts this season, and that was in the first game.

After a Hawaii timeout to ice the kicker, Fresno State was ready to pick up an elusive victory. The players locked arms and kneeled on the sideline — some said prayers as they waited for the most important play of the game.

It was over fast. Kroening’s kick was blocked, dashing all hope Fresno State had to leave Bulldog Stadium happy. The Bulldogs left dejected once again.

“It just burns because these kids are working really hard. They really are, and you just like for it to pay off for them on a Saturday afternoon one time. I’m really proud of them. Great effort. They fought,” interim head coach Eric Kiesau said.

Kline started for the first time this season but did not get his passing game in top form until the last drive. He ended the game with 13 completions on 23 attempts for 108 yards and no touchdowns or interceptions.

After the game, Kline was very emotional, tearing up slightly in the press conference. He is a fifth-year senior, but is in his first season with the Bulldogs, because he came in as a graduate transfer.

Even though Kline has not been with the team for years, he showed how much he cares about the program and his teammates, especially the other seniors who are preparing for their last Fresno State game. Very rarely do players show the emotion he did as he delivered every word with poise and composure.

“I’ve had a really long road, been bounced around, and having a coach like coach Kiesau… all these guys to give me this opportunity,” Kline said. “I’ve waited my whole career for this, and I put it all out on the field just like every one of those guys in that locker room.”

Although Fresno had its most heartbreaking loss of the year, there was at least one positive to take from it. True freshman running back Josh Hokit broke out, racking up 97 yards on 18 carries.

Hokit, a Clovis High graduate, is listed as an outside linebacker on the depth chart and has played the running back position at Fresno State for only three days, Kiesau said. Hokit used his 6-foot-2 frame to provide the offense with steady runs as he powered through the line for what seemed like a solid gain each time.

“You saw guys step in there that haven’t played positions that they played all year, like Josh Hokit, a freshman, just coming in and running like Toby Gerhart out there,” Kline said. “The guy was running with a purpose, and when you see a guy that young, with that much heart and that much fight in him, it makes you think that this program’s in good hands.”

The run game with Hokit was effective, but the passing game of Kline suffered because of many dropped passes, especially in critical moments. The receivers struggled as too many balls slipped right through their hands.

With 2:46 left in the first half, the Bulldogs and Rainbow Warriors got into a scuffle, Hawaii linebacker Jeremiah Pritchard punched a Bulldog in the facemask and was ejected.

Tyquwan Glass led Fresno State’s defense. He had one interception and made many other key plays, including breaking up a potential touchdown pass in the end zone.

“It was super close,” Glass said. “We were fighting. Kept fighting. Never gave up. We went through a little adversity, and it just came down to the wire, and the reason why it hurt so much is because everybody was putting their all into it, and just to see that block, it just hurt everybody.”

With this loss, Fresno State is now the last remaining team of the 128 FBS schools to not beat another FBS opponent this season — Fresno State’s lone win came against lower tier FCS school Sacramento State. Before Saturday, the Bulldogs and Kansas were the only teams without an FBS win, but Kansas beat Texas 24-21, leaving Fresno State all alone.

The Bulldogs have one more chance to pick up that elusive FBS victory. Fresno State hosts San Jose State on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. It is the last time the seniors will play in Bulldog Stadium, and they want more than ever to finish their careers on a high note.

“I can’t harp on it enough. This next week is huge, and this next week we’re going to take everything that just happened and fuel this fire, because this isn’t just a game for the end of the year. This isn’t just a game for me, Tyquwan, Jeff, all the seniors. This is a game for Fresno State coming up,” Kline said. “This is huge, because this sets the tone for the entire offseason and entire next season. I’ve seen it happen. I’ve seen it happen with other programs.”

“This game is huge, this next game, so if there’s anything that’s going to be established coming Sunday, Monday, throughout the week, is that this week and this game, Fresno State is bigger than yourself, and you have to understand how huge it is for the seniors, for the university, for the program, for everybody, for the fans,” Kline said. “I think that’s going to be our job — that’s our job to do, and carry the torch, pass it on to the guys.”