Associated Students Inc. at Fresno State voted Thursday to ask for an increase of Amtrak’s student discount from 15 percent to 20 percent. (Pam LeBlanc/Austin American-Statesman/TNS)

ASI aims for larger Amtrak student discount

Fresno State’s Associated Students, Inc. approved a resolution Thursday in support of discounts for students purchasing Amtrak tickets.

The resolution was brought forth by Region V of the Student Senate for California Community Colleges which represents the Central Valley.

Currently when you purchase an Amtrak ticket at the station, students present their student ID card and receive a 15 percent discount if you are between ages 13 and 25.

The resolution states it wants to increase the current student discount from 15 percent to 20 percent. The resolution also calls for removing the current age limit of 25, so that all ages can benefit from the discount.

ASI approved the resolution so that Region V may have Fresno State’s support when moving this project forward. Region V will be presenting the resolution to the SSCCC General Assembly later this month. At that meeting the general assembly will make the decision on whether or not to pass the resolution.

The Amtrak discount is valid for community colleges, CSU and UC students.