%28Yoceline+Gallardo%2FCollegian+file+photo%29+
(Yoceline Gallardo/Collegian file photo)

App aims to prevent texting and driving

A former Fresno State student and his team have created an app that is tackling an issue affecting students every day.

Connor Myers is the co-founder and CEO of Spacebar Technologies, Inc., a local company in which one of its projects is the app “Passenger Mobile.” The app’s goal is to get drivers to stop texting and driving. They are monitored by how many miles they drive; the longer they drive without texting the more points they receive. If they do end up texting while driving they will lose their points and start back at the beginning. These points are converted to coupons for free items or discounts at local businesses.

The local businesses include Beach Hut Deli, Marble Slab Creamery, Baja Fresh, Yosemite Falls Café and many more.

Myers thought of the idea while he was texting and driving. He stopped what he was doing and asked himself, “Why is there not a better solution to texting and driving?”

Myers is currently taking a break from attending Fresno State to pursue this project, but what he accomplished here made a big difference, he said. He took a programming class that “rekindled my love for software development,” he explained. The most beneficial thing he gained on campus was the connection with fellow students, he said.

“The connections that I made at school through the Greek system and through the people around is what truly helped me in terms of chasing this endeavor and chasing my dreams,” Myers said.

These connections grew into the business partners he has today, including his co-founder, Jim Nakamura. Nakamura was a victim of a texting and driving incident during his time at Fresno State. A driver who was texting rear-ended him, landing him in a coma with severe brain damage. After a lot of hard work, Nakamura came back and graduated on time, taking 29 units a semester.

Today Myers has a team of seven people with four of them connected to Fresno State. Their goal is to continue moving forward in Fresno to eventually give back to the community with different apps they are planning to make.

“I’m being bold in our community. The company is not going anywhere, no matter how big we’re getting,” Myers said. “We’re staying in downtown Fresno. We’re building the city, and we’re going to build Fresno State.”

Myers says he hopes to gain support at the high school and collegiate level. He is in the process of speaking with high school leadership classes to get the student leaders on board with this project. At the collegiate level, he is waiting on plans from Associated Students, Inc., and the Student Health and Counseling Center to get the word out on campus.

Myers believes that these specific age groups should be responsible for tackling this issue since they make up two-thirds of the texting-and-driving deaths. He said he is also is very interested in hearing the stories of others who have been affected by this growing issue, inviting them to contact him through their website at spacebartechnologies.com.

Students can also visit the website to download the app which is currently only offered for iPhones. Myers says his company is always hiring and has internship opportunities for the potential students who think this field may be interesting.

“Don’t be afraid to contact us. We’re looking for good, smart, intelligent people to bring into the company,” he said.

Passenger Mobile is an example of a dream that would have never happened if Myers didn’t move forward with the idea. It was something he was passionate about and worked hard to make a reality.

“Live the life that you want to live while you’re here because there are no second chances,”  Myers said. “You get one shot and one shot only.”