Things that go bump in the night: A Halloween safety guide

There is something about costumes, candy and scary movies on a brisk October night that encourages mischief and mayhem. This Halloween, be sure to steer clear of the ghouls and goblins that could be lurking all around you by following these safety tips.

Safety at home

Halloween is arguably one of the most social holidays of the year. With trick-or-treaters and party goers walking the streets, it’s no surprise that some people may get lost or walk into the wrong house. Make sure your doors are locked and porch light is off if you don’t have candy to pass out to the kids. Porch lights are a common signal that trick-or-treaters are welcome.

Trick-or-treating

Remember when you were a kid and your parents would make you give them your candy before they let you eat it? They were making sure all of the candies were wrapped and didn’t include any sharp objects. If you are taking your children or younger siblings (or yourself) ­trick-or-treating, be sure to double check for anything spooky that could be hiding in that candy bag.

A good rule of thumb is that if it doesn’t look right or feel right, it probably isn’t right. Only knock on doors that have porch lights on that seem safe, and make sure to always stay with your group to avoid getting lost.

Out on the town

Those who don’t stay home for a movie or trick-or-treat in their neighborhood may choose to attend a Halloween party. If you decide to get in a car, be aware that there are usually more drunk drivers on the road on holidays. If you see anything spooky, be sure to dial 9-1-1 to report drunk drivers and keep everyone around you safe.

Drivers should also be aware of traffic. Police often setup safety checkpoints on main cross streets to make sure everyone gets to their destination safely.