Students, faculty and staff can get free flu shots at Fresno State until Oct. 26. (Yezmene Fullilove/The Collegian)

Students can get free flu shots until Oct. 26

The Student Health and Counseling Center kicked off its annual Flu Shot Clinic for students, faculty and staff on Wednesday in the Vintage Room.

Students need their student ID to receive a free vaccination. For faculty and staff, it costs $10. Participants were able to move quickly through the clinic to get their shot and continue with their day.

The free Flu Shot Clinic was established to provide students easy access to flu vaccines and spread awareness about the vaccination.

“Our goal is to keep students healthy throughout the semester so they are able to finish their classes and be successful in their academic endeavours,” said Wendy Oliver, director of health services for the Student Health and Counseling Center.

To reach a large population of students, the department is hosting the clinic Thursday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Vintage Room; Oct. 25 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Student Recreation Center; and Oct. 26 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the University Dining Hall.

“If students come down with the flu in the midst of their studies, it has the potential to kick them out of class for a week or two, causing them to fall behind. [Flu shots are] the number one way to prevent from getting the flu. So we offer it for free to our students,” she said.

The department partnered with the Fresno County Health Department, which provided the vaccines, and Fresno State’s Community Health Nurses, from the School of Nursing in the College of Health and Human Services, administered the vaccinations.

“We’re very grateful,” Oliver said. “If it wasn’t for their help we wouldn’t be able to host such a large event and see as many people as we have in years past.”

Last year’s opening day of the Flu Shot Clinic saw about 500 students receive their flu shots. In total, nearly 1,100 students visited the three clinic stations on campus while another 1,100 were vaccinated in the health center.

To get students to attend the clinic, the organization gathered donations and coupons from the Kennel Bookstore and vendors at Campus Pointe. As students left they were able spin the prize wheel for one of the items on the table.

Students who are unable to make it one of the open clinics are able to make an appointment online with the Student Health Center to schedule a free vaccination.