Haunted attraction raises hell

Raisin Hell Ranch Haunted Cornfield and Corn Maze near Highway 99 in Madera are definitely not for the weak hearted. The attractions are all about fright, without any kid-friendly attractions.

From the moment you enter the cornfield you are greeted by security personnel in costume, trying to get your heart rate jumping right off the bat with an evil stare and quick movements. At the ticket window, the woman dressed as an evil Pooh Bear scans your tickets, belts out an evil cackle and sends you on your way.

First stop is Hell’s Gates. A big black wall setup with flame graphics and red and orange lights blare from the entrance. The entrance has five black tarps that you have to push your way through. Then it begins.

The dark walkway forces you to crawl through obstacles. Smoke clouds your vision and you are surrounded by screaming, banging on walls, animatronics of dead people, ghosts, skeletons, clowns and cringe-worthy music. The effects and props are outstanding, as are the extremely realistic actors.

Next up is the Asylum. There’s another big black wall, with an entrance much darker and only a small light allowing you to see the word “Asylum” above a skull on the large door.

Asylum, much like Hell’s Gates, sends you through obstacles, bridges, stairs, and an open van with a dirty mattress and a man forcing you to crawl through. This maze is definitely for those who enjoy the creepier things in a scare.

There are hallways full of colors splattered all over the wall, black lights as your source of light, and many parts with no light at all. You finish off the Asylum by walking through an abandoned bus, with a not-so-dead driver.

Last is the Blackout Corn Maze. The time spent in here is completely dependent on your will to get out. There are no guides, no lights and no maps. There is no sign or marking to help you out. Men dressed in long black robes are ready to follow you, or dart at you when you least expect it. It was exciting and challenging.

The site offers all three attractions for $25 on weekdays and $30 on weekends. Tickets for one attraction are $15 each.

Raisin Hell Ranch, at 7451 Road 32 in Madera, is open through Oct. 31.