Sophomore Sarah Bloise (#23) goes up against a defender from the New Zealand national team during a home game on Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2016. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

New Zealand national team come as Fresno State’s foe, leave as friends

The Fresno State Lacrosse team played host to the New Zealand national team on Tuesday night in a match resulting in a Bulldog victory 12-8.

“We grew a lot as a team tonight,” Giglio said. “It was a great opportunity to play a national team while they are getting ready to compete in the World Cup. We created a lot of scoring opportunities that we just need to finish.”

This marks the second consecutive year New Zealand has come to Fresno and squared off against the ’Dogs. Last season, the teams met for the first time and Fresno State won 17-11.

“We had this fantastic experience last year,” said New Zealand head coach Kari Jones. “It was the first time I had brought New Zealand to the United States. Fresno was really kind and generous to offer us a game.”

After the match, Fresno State and New Zealand sat down to share a meal provided by the Bulldogs’ team.

“It’s sort of a tradition I think in the United States to have a tailgate with your opposition,” Jones said. “Everyone hangs out, shares a conversation. It’s a great opportunity for the girls to share experiences about what it’s like in college life, what it’s like living in New Zealand and just sharing some of those stories.”

The Fresno State lacrosse team will host its annual Alumnae Game on Oct. 29 at noon on the Soccer and Lacrosse Field.