The Fresno State women’s golf team poses after winning second place at the Johnie Imes Invitational hosted by the University of Missouri, at the Club at Old Hawthorne on Tuesday. (Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)

Bulldogs tee their way to the top

The Fresno State men’s and women’s golf teams participated in two-day tournaments on Monday and Tuesday, each placing in the top 10 of the invitationals.

The women’s golf team took home second place out of 15 teams at the Johnie Imes Invitational in Columbia, Missouri.

The Bulldogs finished the third round on Tuesday even par at 288. Overall, the team finished 3-over-par at 867, with four Bulldogs finishing in the top 25.

“Having four of our players finish inside the top 25 gives us a ton of confidence and a great foundation as we jump towards our next tournament in Denver this weekend,” head coach Emily Loftin said. “This team will be ready to build on the past two days when we get back on the course.”

Fresno State golfer Yifei Wang tied for eighth place with an even par at 216. The Collegian’s featured international athlete of this week, Guðrún Björgvinsdottir, tied for 15th place in the tournament 2-over-par at 218.

Kristin Simonsen finished tied for 19th. Mimi Ho tied for 25th.

Invitational host, University of Missouri took home the title in team scoring finishing 2-over-par at 864.

With an overall score of 211 and 5-under-par, Medy Thavong of Kennesaw State finished first.

The women’s golf team returns to play on Friday as part of a three-day tournament in Littleton, Colorado at Ron Moore Women’s Intercollegiate. ­

The men’s golf team finished seventh out of 15 teams at the Nick Watney Invitational, a tournament that Fresno State hosts annually at the San Joaquin Country Club.

The ’Dogs were tied for third after their first two rounds on Monday. They finished18 strokes over par with an overall score of 870 after the final round on Tuesday.

“It was a disappointing day, we got off to a poor start and couldn’t rebound,” head coach Chad Spencer said. “Being at our home course and only one shot back, I thought this would be our breakout performance, but we will regroup and keep fighting because that is what this team is about.”

Sophomore Alex Lee tied for eighth in the tournament with an overall 54-hole score of 212, one under par. Fresno State player Justin Avery finished with a total score of 219 and placed 25th overall.

Brigham Young University was crowned the champion of the 2016 tournament. It was BYU’s 13th win all-time and the most by any visiting contender at a men’s golf tournament hosted by Fresno State.

Perry Cohen of St. Mary’s College of California claimed the individual title after edging out Justin De Los Santos by one stroke when he birdied the last hole in the final round on Tuesday.

The men’s golf team tees off at the Alister Mackenzie Invitational in Fairfax, California on Oct. 10.