The Seven Stages of Sorority Recruitment Emotions

Over the weekend, girls in heels and dresses went through five sorority houses in a speed dating fashion to find their new best friends in a very short 30 minutes. That’s right, sorority recruitment is upon us. What most people don’t know is how extremely emotional this weekend can be. These are the seven stages of recruitment that almost every girl experiences this year.

1. Hesitation

All of your friends have signed up for recruitment, but you still aren’t sold. You find yourself asking “What’s the point anyways?” Besides you have plenty of friends already and it sounds like a huge commitment. But your friends are all doing it and they are so excited. Is it worth a shot?

image01

2. Courage

So your friends finally convince you to sign up, and you’re feeling pretty good about yourself. You are putting yourself out there and trying something new. Campus involvement looks great on a resume! This is going to be awesome!

image03

3. Curiosity and Fear

So here you are, getting ready for the first day of recruitment, and you realize you’ve overlooked some minor details. What even happens when you step foot in that house? Are they going to like me? Am I going to like them? What if I hate it? How do I know where to go? I literally don’t speak Greek!

image06

4.Overwhelmed

After your mini meltdown that smeared your makeup, you pull yourself together and head over to sorority mall. You are surrounded by over 100 other girls who have the same questions as you do, and everyone is freaking out around you. You spend 30 minutes in each sorority house and they are all perfect. Almost too perfect. Now you’re saying to yourself, “What was I thinking? What did I get myself into? I’m not cut out for this!”

image04

5. Acceptance

After yet another meltdown, you’ve decided to let your worries go. You may not be wearing the most expensive dress in your group, and maybe you applied a little too much glue to your false eyelashes. The important part is that you actually had some fun, and met some really cool people. They even gave you snacks in between house visits. Maybe this isn’t so bad after all.

image00

6. Nervousness

So you’re relaxing, enjoying the process, without a care in the world. But then preference day comes. This is the day you find out which houses liked you the most. In two hours, you’ll have to decide which sorority you will call home FOR LIFE. After blotting the nervous sweat off of your face, you look at your preference schedule and see that your two favorite houses invited you back. How are you supposed to know which one is better? They’re both great. You find yourself wondering if dropping out now would be easier than making this decision.

image02

7. Excitement

The time has come to make a decision. After your last visit to your favorite houses, you finally know where you belong. The answer is clear and you are so excited to meet all of your new sisters. You open your bid, and cry loud obnoxious tears of joy as you realize your top choice loves you as much as you love them. It’s time to run to across the mall and rejoice in the arms of your soon to be new best friends. Bid Day awaits you, and you can’t wait to eat pizza and go crazy on the dance floor with your new sisters.

image05