A car certified by Uber to drive for the ride-hailing service. (Troy Pope/The Collegian)

Students get half off Uber through Oct. 2

Students starting and ending their Uber ride at Fresno State will now be able to get 50 percent off of their ride.

Uber and Rockers Against Drunk Driving (RADD) are collaborating “to help make the transition of school easier for students,” said Tracey Breeden, Uber corporate safety spokesperson for the western region.

RADD is a nonprofit organization that empowers celebrities and media partners to create positive attitudes about road safety, according to its website.

In order to get a discount, students can use the code, “HOMESAFEFRESNOSTATE” from Thursday to Sunday from 5 p.m. to 3 a.m. until Oct. 2. ­­

“We understand that college students are moving in,” Breeden said. “They’re getting used to their new school schedule, and we’re just working with RADD to help ease that stress and help students heading back to school have reliable and safe rides.”

Uber is a safe and reliable transportation option. However, riders should always confirm the driver’s name, photo and license plate before getting in a vehicle, Breeden said.

Jon Benevedes, owner of Wahoo’s Fish Tacos at Campus Pointe, is partnered with Fresno State RADD’s reward program. The restaurant provides chips, salsa and an non-alcoholic beverage to designated drivers.­

Additional restaurants participating in the rewards program are Bobby Salazar’s in Clovis; Cuvée Fresno; Dog House Grill; Neighbors Tap and Cook House; Old Town Saloon; and Thai Fusion. ­

Benevedes said Uber’s collaboration with RADD promotes having fun, safe nights.

“What Uber and RADD are recognizing now is that everyone can go out, they can have fun, can still have a safe night, [and] not endanger anyone,” Benevedes said. ­

Maribel Cruz, a forensic behavioral science major, said students may stay on campus later because of this collaboration.

“I think that it will give students more confidence in staying late at school if they have that option,” Cruz said.