How Carly Rae Jepsen saved my summer

When you hear the name Carly Rae Jepsen, you typically think of a song that took over the radio waves during the summer of 2012. Whether you like it or not, you know every single word to “Call Me Maybe” and maybe even her mildly popular follow up with Owl City, “Good Time”.

At first, my love for Carly Rae began as one of irony: I loved her for her memeworthy charisma, and not necessarily for her instrumental or lyrical prowess. I made fun of myself for liking her, knowing that it was kind of the lame thing to do, especially because it had been many years after her summer of instant “Call Me Maybe” stardom.

Time passed, and I found myself following her, album after album. It wasn’t until the release of her second album, Emotion, that I realized my at first ironic love had become a full-blown fan appreciation. I found myself relating to the song lyrics, loving the beats, and having full on car dance parties to the album’s standout hit, Making the Most of the Night.

Carly Rae Jepsen’s song are all heart and make it so easy for listeners to connect in one way or another. She has fun, light pop hits like I Really Like You, explaining the complicated but excited feelings following the discovery of a new crush, but juxtaposes them with feelings-heavy ballads like All That and Favourite Colour, where it’s as though the light crush as the subject in the previously mentioned song has obviously bloomed into so much more and she’s left wondering exactly where she and her lyrical counterpart stand.

From one post-ironic Carly Rae lover to a host of critical hipsters, I reach out and urge anyone to check out Carly Rae’s body of work in a world post-“Call Me Maybe”. I guarantee it’ll offer all of the dance-y vibes you’ve been after all these years.