Doua+Thor%2C+executive+director+of+White+House+initiatives+on+Asian+Americans+and+Pacific+Islanders%2C+welcomes+attendees+to+the+discussion+panel+in+the+Alice+Peters+Auditorium+in+the+Craig+School+of+Business+Sept.+16%2C+2016.+%28Khone+Saysamongdy%2FThe+Collegian%29+
Doua Thor, executive director of White House initiatives on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, welcomes attendees to the discussion panel in the Alice Peters Auditorium in the Craig School of Business Sept. 16, 2016. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

Educators discuss Asian-American and Pacific Islanders students obstacles

The executive director of White House initiatives on Asian-American and Pacific Islanders visited Fresno State to discuss obstacles students face and how to overcome them.

“I am really excited to see the thriving and growing community here,” Doua Thor said. “We got a chance to meet with students yesterday, and their commitment not only to their pursuit of their career but also to the community is tremendous.”

The event on Friday included a panel of four guests who have researched specific issues such as academic and personal communication, access to resources and cultural expectations.

The panel included Fresno Unified School District principal Misty Her; academic counselor for Fresno State’s Equal Opportunity Program, Judy Clements; dean of undergraduate studies at the department of sociology, Dr. Xuanning Fu; associate professor at the department of chemistry, Dr. Joy Goto; and associate professor at the department of criminology, Dr. Yoshiko Takahashi.

The panel began with Her, who discussed FUSD’s impact on the youth before entering ­universities.

“We have to start them when they are really young so they can be successful in university,” Her said.

When a poll was conducted among Fresno State Asian-American and Pacific Islander students, Clements said the results indicated these students experience familial pressure such as childcare for siblings, strong family ties and maintaining expectations set by parents.

Results also indicated these students feel they are not equipped or confident enough to reach out to staff and faculty for support. Clements credits role playing with her students to give them scenario-based experience.

“It’s OK to have an honest conversation with your parents,” Clements said. “One semester at a time and if you can get through that, you’ll be out of here before you know it.”

Fu said Fresno State in 2016 ranked 55 among 298 national universities in Asian enrollment, according to U.S. News.

Grades are an indication of what Asian-American and Pacific Islanders struggle with academically.

“We look for strategies to improve their success,” Fu said.

He said he believes a culture shift starting in the family will be the first long-term strategy to begin to improve the academic careers of students.

In addition to being a professor, Goto is also a representative for the CSU Asian-American and Pacific Islander Initiative on campus. She was appointed by Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro.

“We see the students every day. We have a certain connection with the students,” Goto said.

Next spring, the program “Journey To Success” will arrive on campus. This program allows young students to come to Fresno State to see what it is like at a university and see what it takes to become a student here.

The last panel member, Takahashi, also conducted a poll. The results found that most students who drop out have unclear future goals, no role model, cultural barriers, are self-reliant and are first-generation college students.

Takahashi said that because of these obstacles, the polled students have a low percentage of happy home environments.

What’s next for assisting these students?

The panelists agreed that emphasizing communication personally and academically is crucial to the success among Asian-American and Pacific Islander students.